• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Tips for SC and Beyond (1 Viewer)

Stopsign

HSC
N/A
Here are my study tips for you. (Forgive me, I've forgotten the format of SC exams)Forgive me if I get this wrong.

Study Before Exams
*Plan your time.
-Maths. Take less than a minute for each multiple choice question.
-English. Can't help you.
-History/Geography. 1 hour on each. Spend 15 minutes on each multiple choice. I'd do the them first.
-Science. Multiple Choice-45 minutes. 10 short answers-less than 10 minutes.
-Don't forget to set aside time to check and recheck.

Before Exams
*Have a good supply of pens, rulers, calculators (for maths, science even for geography)
*Try not to study stuff from last year that you forgot to study.
*Don't go into the exam room with a thirsty throat or empty stomach.
*In between exams, stay cool, drink some water and have some food. Go to the toilet. Spend less time discussing your previous exam. If your friend convinces you that you've failed, it's gonna be on your mind even through the next exam!

Don't cram or do last-minute study. REVISE!

Exam Tips
*Reading Time: take 5 minutes or so to relax your nerves and to take a quick glance. In English, read the stimulus carefully. (Read it a second time during the exam). In History/Geography, read the questions and take that time to think about what to write. In Science, read through all the short-answer and response questions at least twice.
*Every 30 minutes: Stop, Revive and Survive by putting your pens down, stretching your legs and your arms.

Random Study Tips
*Go through past papers and when doing mc's, take care and read the question carefully. Use the elimination process like I do. PRACTISE TIMING TOO.
*For History, I'd study either Aborigines, feminism or immigration (one of them)really well and maybe have a second one handy. It's always an essay question.
I'd study Australia's relations with UK, USA or Asia really well too through trade etc. Study federation well too.
*Similarly for Geography.
*"You can't study for English?"
Yes you can. Go through past papers. Practise all your text types-speech,letters etc and practice writing FAST. Practise multiple-choice.

Remember study hard for it and try your best. The next time you'll get supervisors you don't know overwatching you and the BOS logo on the front page of the exam will be the HSC...
Also, you are competing against the state not your school.

Good Luck Everybody! :)

Stopsign

HSC
N/A
I'm serious. Study for it!
Don't listen to people who say "oh... the SC, i din't even study and i got 95 or whatever"
They are a lot different to you are.
Spend the next few days studying. Break them up into alocated timeslots
Take it easy.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Beyond SC?
Christmas holidays...how nice. That's the last thing on your minds now.
Enjoy it! You won't get it next year.
-For year 11, plan and organise a study yimetable and notes.
-Spend 2-3 hours studying each night.
-In year 11, forget what happened in year 10.
-Be careful of what subjects you choose. If within the first term you find a subject too hard or boring, change it! Let me warn you (not scare you), MX1 and EX1 have high drop out rates. Consult the hundreds of other 'choosing subjects' threads. My advice is to listen to your interests and look at your abilities. If you feel that you've chosen the wrong subjects, change it now! It's better than changing it next year.
-If you don't get a subject you want, you can do it through saturday school or correspondance study.

Don't forget the BOS website with its practice multiple-choice questions!
Good Luck! :)
Smart_Dunce

P

pLuvia

Reading Time: take 5 minutes or so to relax your nerves and to take a quick glance. In English, read the stimulus carefully. (Read it a second time during the exam).
Just like to add, before reading the stimuli read the questions first so you have an idea of what you are looking for, most people don't do this and they have to always flip back to it, but if you do this you can underline the things you need and not need to flip back as much :)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Just because it 'doesn't count', it doen't mean that you shouldn't study...
Use the SC to learn how to study as well as to learn how to do exams the 'hsc way'

P

pLuvia

Stopsign said:
I'm serious. Study for it!
Don't listen to people who say "oh... the SC, i din't even study and i got 95 or whatever"
They are a lot different to you are.
Spend the next few days studying. Break them up into alocated timeslots
Take it easy.
I totally agree with you. 2005 SC students, study for the SC, it's worth it when you get the marks back :):)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
great thread....i'm doing the sc this yr

just wish it was made earlier. lol....3 days doesn't leave a huge time to work on the skills......

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Well...seeing I'm close to finishing the HSC course, the advice I can give to you guys is seriously to not cram.

I forgot if you guys actually got a period like STUVAC in hsc (i.e. an extra week of studying), though even if you don't, after-school is alot of time for study. Be sure not to slack off, now that the SC is like 2 days away, because 2 days is alot of time if you make full use of it.

Maths: This should not be problem unless you're still struggling with operations of numbers.

English: This is actually quite straightforward, and in no way as hard as the HSC English examination, though be sure to know techniques, and how to answer comprehensions effectively.

Science: There isn't an awful amount of calculations in this topic, though one thing I have learnt when I did my SC was to be wary of what the question asked exactly, know the names of equipment used in science labs.

History & Citzenship: Well, our teacher never wrote out notes, and when he did, he was almost repeating generalisations, if you want this course to score well, I'd highly recommend skim-reading your history booklet / textbook, and try some online SC questions, dates are highly important, so are the names.

Good luck to all SC students!

P.s. Some people may have heard that most did not study for this certificate but still gained band 6, I can assure you that this is true, the trick lies on having a clear mind on the day of your SC, don't sleep that late, as long as you can understand the questions asked, then the answer is just common sense.

If you are struggling with the SC, do not worry, this is in no way near a simulation of the HSC, its almost like a skills exam. I'd probably understand some parents forcing students to undertake so called prep SC courses such as from North Shore coaching, etc or even undertaking O.C. exams to get into Baulkham hills high school, but once again I can assure you that getting into these schools do not determine your HSC results, its the teachers who teach you the subjects that matter, I know of a teacher at baulka and James R, and they can't even teach crap...

But if you're starting to prepare for HSC, I would highly recommend you to start preparing now, and for those who want to go into medicine, start taking UMAT courses.

!Solskjaer!

HSC
If it's teachers that matter, then I can expect a maximum of band 2 in Geography, Science and Maths.

Not that it has anything to do with the rest of my life...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you paid attention in class, then you don't need to study as intensively because it's already in your head, this is the case for science, history + geography. Maths is fooking easy, the first question is like 39+11 lol.

P

pLuvia

hahah yeh, I remember them hehe, have fun with your last m/c questions for english and maths SC'ers :p

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Take care when doing mc's.
The smartest students usually lose marks in this section. Take care. It's usually fault of silly mistakes.
Remember year 10, don't listen to people who laugh at you for studying; don't listen to people who say that it's easy and you'll pass- that'll discourage study.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Sleep early tonight. Don't cram. Don't do last minute study so wake up early and feel refreshed for a BIG day.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Wow. 2 days till the SC. It's been so quick. Two years has gone by.

One VERY IMPORTANT TIP.
If you can't answer everything, at least do all the multiple choice questions. There's no harm in guessing because it's a one-in-four chance. I know a guy who in a Business Studies multiple choice exam got an impressive 29/30 and he had left one question blank.

Be nice to your body, just because you're punishing your brains.

James747

HSC
Sparcod said:
Take care when doing mc's.
The smartest students usually lose marks in this section. Take care. It's usually fault of silly mistakes.
Yep, mc sux most! Full of tricks, and i always fall for them :S

Sparcod said:
Remember year 10, don't listen to people who laugh at you for studying; don't listen to people who say that it's easy and you'll pass- that'll discourage study.
Too true. This kind of attitude is particularly common in this forum, prob cuz its full of smart ppl....

LiiL

HSC
N/A
Multiple choice is where i usually lose the most marks (and science has 50 m.c. questions :mad1: )

LiiL

HSC
N/A
tamaranadine said:
yep.

I have had nearly everyone in my grade giving me heaps for studying. They all use the excuse, 'but if your going on, what's the point?'

Yes I'm going on, but I still care. I want to get band 6's all around and I know that I will be devistated if I don't achieve this.
Same here...even though im continuing i still want to do well
I am also working towards Band 6's...always aim high...

Your study will pay off..

Good Luck everyone
Don't stress

Miagi

HSC
thnx for all the tips for the sc and everyone goodluck on monday
dont stress out to much gudluck agen on monday

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Good luck fellow 2006-ers for the SC. I hope everyone Band 6! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)