• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Titration Experiment - URGENT (1 Viewer)

sgsupremacy

HSC
N/A
Hey, I'm having a hard time understanding titration, I know that you have to make your own solution so that you know the volume and concentration, but whats primary standard? In this prac we were told to make a solution of
Na<SUB>2</SUB>CO<SUB>3, then titrate with HCI, then titrate HCI with NaOH..</SUB>
<SUB></SUB>
<SUB>The task description is,</SUB>
<SUB>Determine the concentration of a solution of sodium hydroxide by titration with approximately 0.1M hydrochloric acid. This solution of hydrochloric acid must first be standardised to determine its accurate concentration.</SUB>
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!!
<SUB></SUB>

HSC
sgsupremacy said:
Hey, I'm having a hard time understanding titration, I know that you have to make your own solution so that you know the volume and concentration, but whats primary standard? In this prac we were told to make a solution of
Na<SUB>2</SUB>CO<SUB>3, then titrate with HCI, then titrate HCI with NaOH..</SUB>
<SUB></SUB>
<SUB>The task description is,</SUB>
<SUB>Determine the concentration of a solution of sodium hydroxide by titration with approximately 0.1M hydrochloric acid. This solution of hydrochloric acid must first be standardised to determine its accurate concentration.</SUB>
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!!
<SUB></SUB>
I'm stretching my memory so correct me if im wrong.

For what i remember a primary standard solution is a solution made by yourself when you know the exact mass of the solid (Na2CO3 in your case) and the exact mass of the water need to give you a solution of a certain molarity.

When making the solution you need to be very perdantic, washing when you can as to but dilute or contaminate your solution.

Once that primary standard solution is made (using calculations- i cant remember, ask your teacher) you can use it to test the molarity of your unknown (HCl). Once the molarity of the HCl is known, you can titrate it with your unknown NaOH to find it's molarity!

I think that's it! Good luck, i hope it heaps.
Cheers champion!

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
sgsupremacy said:
but whats primary standard?
Primary standards need to be at least 99.9% pure, stable under ordinary storage and stable when dried by heat or vacuum to remove traces of water.

They are used to accurately determine the concentration of another solution. In your example, hydrochloric acid is produced by dissolving HCl gas in water, its concentration is a best guess until it is tested with a standard. NaOH is hygroscopic so weighing errors are present because of absorbed water. A direct titration of HCl and NaOH will be full of errors.

A sodium carbonate standard is made by heating the pure powder to over 100oC but less than 800oC to drive off the water while preventing decomposition to carbon dioxide and sodium oxide. A sample is weighed and dissolved in water and the concentration is known accurately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)