titration (1 Viewer)

abbadell

HSC
20ml of Ba(OH)2 solution was titrated with 0.20 mol L H2SO4 solution I a beaker. The reaction was complete when 15ml of H2SO4 solution had been added.
a For the reaction write
(i) The formula equation
(ii) the ionic equation for the neutralisation
(iii) the ionic equation for the formation of precipitated solid
b Describe the contents of the solution in the reaction beaker when 15ml of sulfuric acid had been added
c Calculate the concentration of Ba(OH)2 solution

Riviet

HSC
N/A
i) Ba(OH)2 + H2SO4 <=> BaSO4 +2H2O

b) A barium sulfate salt formed in the solution with water; the salt is neutral because it is formed from the reaction of a strong acid (sulfuric acid) and strong base (barium hydroxide).

c) nsulfuric acid=cV
=0.020 x 0.015 litres
=0.003 mol.

1 mol. sulfuric acid reacts with 1 mol. barium hydroxide, therefore nbarium hydroxide = 0.003 mol.

.'. Cbarium hydroxide = n/V
= 0.003/0.020
= 0.15 mol/L

Wasn't sure about the other bits of the question, but I hope that helps. ;)

Last edited:

funking_you

b) A barium sulfate salt formed in the solution with water; the salt is neutral because it is formed from the reaction of a strong acid (sulfuric acid) and strong base (barium hydroxide).
Although this salt is neutral, your justification is not sufficient, and would not be awarded many marks in the HSC exams.
Whether a salt is neutral, acidic or basic, depends on its ability to further react with water. Does the salt react with water? If it does react with water, what happens to the ions in the salt? does one specific ion in the salt accept or donate protons (H+) to water or not?

Also, the salt formed in this example is INSOLUBLE; the question told you this; "precipitate formed", hence this salt cannot reaction with water at all, this is the reason why THIS salt is neutral.

~George

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)