TO 2021 YEAR 10 STUDENTS CONSIDERING EXTENSION ENGLISH I (1 Viewer)

justbellaforshort

HSC
Hi Year 10 students (and others),

I just thought I should write a quick thing to consider before you pick English Extension in Year 11 because it could be the difference between you really enjoying or disliking it.

----------------------------------

If you are a STRAIGHT-TO-THE-POINT, CONCRETE, UNCREATIVE, LOGICAL, FACT-BASED PERSON, you MAY NOT like this subject. I say this because, from my experience in this course, there is a lot of out-of-the-box/abstract thinking which has made my time studying the subject really frustrating and annoying. For example, we have looked at ideas such as reality being a construct, literature not being real, your life being a 'text' and the idea of fictional characters actually being real, simply because we know of them (not because they exist in the real world, which is practical-thinking). This sort of stuff I have found irritating and illogical, because, to me, it's far-fetched and isn't straight-to-the-point. If like me, you prefer logical, non-philosophical discussion, then you may not enjoy this subject, as it requires you to think in an abstract way, rather than in a practical one. My teacher keeps picking me up on answering his philosophical queries too practically, but as a practical person, that is how I am. If you're like me, (and you have options) please don't do Extension English in Year 11; you will be annoyed, frustrated, might feel stupid a lot of the time and like you're wasting your time. On another note, even if you ALWAYS PERFORMED WELL IN ENGLISH, DON'T THINK YEAR 11 ADV. AND EX. ENGLISH WILL BE 'EASY'. I consistently got A's in English from Year 7-10, but because I don't get this subject and personally find it pretentious, I have been really struggling and it's made me feel less capable or smart than I am. So even if you're great at English now, please consider the above advice before you select the course, because I overestimated how easy it would be and that's lead to me struggling the way I am currently.

On the other hand...

If you are a THOUGHTFUL, ABSTRACT, CREATIVE, PHILOSOPHICAL, CURIOUS PERSON, you MAY LIKE this subject. I have had a bad experience only because I am more the first type of person I described. However, you might enjoy this subject if you enjoy thinking out of the box, if you enjoy exploring new ways of thinking, if you like your ideas to be discussed, debated and challenged – overall, if you enjoy thinking philosophically and in a way that isn't set in stone or determined by facts. Some people in my class have said they enjoy that their expectations and worldview have changed positively since studying English Extension I, for the better. I was discussing with one girl about the class who said they've become more thoughtful and less prejudiced by doing this subject. This class is good if you want to learn about other ways of thinking, ways that are above you and your immediate being. Also, if you are willing to put in the extra work – because even though it is only a one-unit subject, there is just as much content as some two unit subjects, so keep this in mind. If you are okay with this, then you may be capable of doing the subject pretty comfortably.

----------------------------------

Overall, if you're a more logical and practical person (who dislikes the 'well, technically...' argument ), you may not like this subject. If you're already a more philosophical and abstract thinker, then you probably will enjoy it. Please think it through though, as with all your subjects, because one of the last things you want is to be stuck with a subject you hate and end up regretting being in for your whole year 11 experience. Please keep in mind, this has been my experience – talk to some other people who have done Extension English I to get even more perspectives of the class, because as objective as I've tried to be, I am still biased to my own feelings about the subject.

All the best Year 10, I hope this has/will help in your decision-making for subjects next year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)