• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

to defer or not to defer (1 Viewer)

movex

HSC
hi how is every1

this isnt a question on how to defer but rather is it a good idea. I just finished yr12 last year and have been accepted to uni this year (UWS). What i want to know "is it a good idea to defer" from people who have defered or friends of friends ;) and also anything they have learnt from deferment (whether it was viable or not). Also if i do defer can i do the course at an accelerated rate so when i do come back i finish on time or just a bit after (do a 4 year course in 3 years) then if i had started on time.

Thanx alot

Jacks

HSC
hey, whether or not to defer is a personal decision that only you can make for yourself. Firstly if you did choose to defer what are your reasons or plans? i.e. will you be travelling overseas or just working for awhie etc. If these are things you really want to do then deferring would be worth it if you have something that you really want to achieve or if you think a break is something you need. If you haven't got any plans and don't think it will benefit you that much then perhaps it isn't worth the hassle of explaining to the uni, paying the $100 or whatever is required. Overall deferring is worth doing if you think it is...if it will get you somewhere or something you want...I don't think doing it just for the sake of it a good idea though...you really have to think about your options, plans etc...on the whole it is worth it when individually considering all of these factors. I'm not sure is you can do an accelerated course to catch up with what you miss...but these would all be things you would find out prior to making you decision...good luck!

alien

HSC
one of my friends deferred, she picked up her deferrment and reapplied at uni the next year and she got into a better course that she wanted. and she got to travel in the year. it really depends if you have something you want to do for a year or not. you could use the year for experience. as for accelerating your degree, i don't really think so but it could happen. just not likely. basically think of it as if you start a year later, you'll end a year later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)