• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

torture as a means to extract information (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
my fellow law-students,

you may have noticed under the Fairfax papers earlier this week, there have been considerable debate abt the use of torture as a means to extract information.

Opinion, Mike Carlton - Unleash the sadist within

a few hours ago, SMH put this up:

Torture should be used on criminals: QC

Mr Faris' blog entry

my comments:

with all due respect mr. faris, but as a lawyer do you think you are qualified to judge whether someone is a suspected criminal or a guilty criminal? if you do then obviously the criminal law traditions of our common law system, with the presumption of innocence and the right to silence, mean nothing to you.

your examples are easy to invalidate. sometimes investigatory authorities can and do get things wrong and capture the innocent. is torture under those circumstances correct? to extract ‘confessions’ from a suspect, how far would the authorities go? who is to say they’ve got the ‘real’ criminal?

under all circumstances, the only tribunal that can judge whether someone is guilty or not is a court of law. thus, to torture suspects for ‘confessions’ or ‘information’ is unacceptable, at all times.
what are your thoughts on this issue?

if we can torture terrorists, what is to stop us from torturing the likes of David Hicks or Mamdouh Habib? what is to stop police from extracting confessions under torture?

it will fucking undermine our whole criminal law system and i will have none of it :mad:

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i like ppl who agree with me:
loklan
22/5/2005 | 5:43 pm

All of the examples given presume that those who would apply torture _know_ in advance that the information they need can and will be extracted by the application of torture. Get real, fairy tale absolutes like that only ever happen in Hollywood. The fact that movies like “Dirty Harry” are cited as a references doesn’t do much for the credibility of arguements based on this type of example. Give me an example where, without the aid of hindsight, a government was 100% convinced it had the right guy and could have stopped a ticking bomb attack by application of torture. It just doesn’t happen.

In the meantime, while we wait in readiness for the perfect ticking bomb case (which will never come), we corrode some of the core moral principles that underpin our society, principles such as “innocent until proven guilty”.

In the end it only takes two points to destroy the arguement for torture:
1. What if they get the wrong guy?
2. What if that wrong guy is me?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Coming from Russia, I have heard of many examples where torture has been used to extract information. In some cases the amount of torture is unbearable for the person in question and even if they had not commited a crime, it is much more bearable to fake a confession and go to jail rather than to continue to be tortured.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Oh man we've been going over this in detail for over a week.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
011 said:
Oh man we've been going over this in detail for over a week.
as you can tell, i'm sick of the news/political affairs forum. everyone's too adamant with their views there. but then again, so am i :p

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Well what we found mainly was that America was in open defiance of so many international conventions that it started to become almost absurd.

The material we were given about it, as predicted, was slanted towards how wrong it was and how wrong America was in doing it.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea in principle.

However, in reality it is probably far too dangerous to implement

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
hmm, you shouldn't antagonise him

he has a link on his site to miranda divine :rolleyes:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
hmm, you shouldn't antagonise him
hence frigey's "with all due respect mr faris...".

according to one of my uts law teachers, michelle, the phrase is the legal equivalent of "f*cking up yours..."

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Frigid said:
hence frigey's "with all due respect mr faris...".

according to one of my uts law teachers, michelle, the phrase is the legal equivalent of "f*cking up yours..."
UTS? How come u have a unsw logo in your sig?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
With respect = They're wrong
With the greatest respect = They're very wrong
With the greatest respect to my learned friend = They're on something illegal

X

xeuyrawp

MoonlightSonata said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea in principle.

However, in reality it is probably far too dangerous to implement
Exactly, although it must be admitted that the sheer presence of torture 1. lowers criminal activities and 2. has better results in terms of confession.

Then there's the trouble of saying what you can torture people for? What if it's an unusual circumstance- what if they're wrong and everyone knows it, but the laws and regulations mean they have to torture them- what about vice versa?

I think there are a lot of other equally inhumane, yet more acceptable, options available, like putting them in a cell with a couple of "Bears" from Oxford street.

santaslayer

HSC
I'd like to think the authorities have the utmost greatest suspicions on the potential torturee for it to happen. I'm not against torturing at all. Torturing should only be done with respect to crimes against the state. Murders and other 'petty' crimes as such should follow the current legal system.

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
I'd like to think the authorities have the utmost greatest suspicions on the potential torturee for it to happen. I'm not against torturing at all. Torturing should only be done with respect to crimes against the state.
Stalin had great suspicions on the potential torturee, and generally it was for crimes against the state.

I think that if we introduce torture, it'll be by a depraved government, police, or military; in which case I don't want to live in that country.

Also- how would torturing someone who performed a crime against the state going to help? Don't you mean someone who has information pertaining to crimes against the state? In which case- where do you set the boundary? Do you put it in writing, then let people who don't deserve it cop the torture (we all know that doing something that can be proven illegal doesn't mean you deserve such torture) or do we leave it up to the military and police to decide, (in which case we'll get nasty, corrupt police)?

Last edited by a moderator:

santaslayer

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Stalin had great suspicions on the potential torturee, and generally it was for crimes against the state.

I think that if we introduce torture, it'll be by a depraved government, police, or military; in which case I don't want to live in that country.

Also- how would torturing someone who performed a crime against the state going to help? Don't you mean someone who has information pertaining to crimes against the state? In which case- where do you set the boundary? Do you put it in writing, then let people who don't deserve it cop the torture (we all know that doing something that can be proven illegal doesn't mean you deserve such torture) or do we leave it up to the military and police to decide, (in which case we'll get nasty, corrupt police)?
I'd hope most torturing performed would be on a proactive stance. Wouldn't it? If the deed was done then they would most likely go through the legal system. (If I was in charge, I'd kill them without trial. Yes, I know you don't want to live in such a country, but that's just my stance, whether you agree with it or not. I'm not necessarily looking for opinions here. :))

Everything would probably be set in strict writing. Even then, there will be vaugness like in many other pieces of statute. What I am saying is that I am not against torture. (like in my previous post), but I am not necessarily advocating for it. If I had all the answers then I wouldn't be here studying law. I'd be rich already.

Miscarriages happen all the time. What about the person who gets a life sentence without deserving it? What we can do, is better improve the system whereby torturing occurs. As I said in my previous post, they would have to have the 'utmost suspicions'. (In which case, I'd kill them- but then again, I would want to extract more in depth information and I would like for them to experience a slow and painful death. )

Yes, I am a bad person.

EDIT: LoLz, there's been a thread in News and ACA's section already anyway...MS wrote a freakin thesis about it. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)