Transferring into law at Sydney (1 Viewer)

mirann

HSC
Well I know I don't have the marks to get 99.3 (?) law at Sydney, and I'm not even sure if I'll get 95, I'll probably end up with about a 93/94. Is it definite that you can't transfer to law if you are below a 95 UAI, even if you get a distinction average (or higher)? I've heard that if you do better with your GPA then they take that into account over the UAI. Should I even bother planning of transferring or just think about another university? Just trying to be realistic.
Does anyone have any experience with transferring with a UAI lower than 95? Or know anyone who has?

doink

Clone
HSC
If you cant transfer into it first year then you can always do grad, 90 uai + credit average or if you have done honours then you get in automatically.

doink

Clone
HSC
You apply before you get your results and you get your offer afterwards.

Demandred

HSC
If you guys don't get in through a transfer, try getting in as a graduate when you finish your degree or the non-law component of your combined degree. It takes about 90 UAI and a GPA of 5.8+ (high credit) average.

ballin

Banned
HSC
yeah you apply anew. i've heard a solid credit avg is all you need, provided your uai is ok.

kayvon

--
HSC
yeah you apply anew. i've heard a solid credit avg is all you need, provided your uai is ok.
how good is an ok uai?

and does anyone knows what happens to the structure of ur studying next year if you transfer into law?
I'm a first year looking to transfer to BIGS law

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
how good is an ok uai?
I've heard it's still quite competitive for first year transfers, and a high 90's UAI is probs needed. Not sure on specifics though. Definitely have a strong year this year, otherwise it'll be hard

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Well I know I don't have the marks to get 99.3 (?) law at Sydney, and I'm not even sure if I'll get 95, I'll probably end up with about a 93/94. Is it definite that you can't transfer to law if you are below a 95 UAI, even if you get a distinction average (or higher)? I've heard that if you do better with your GPA then they take that into account over the UAI. Should I even bother planning of transferring or just think about another university? Just trying to be realistic.
Does anyone have any experience with transferring with a UAI lower than 95? Or know anyone who has?
As of 2009:
USYD Combined Law= 99.55
UNSW Combined Law= 99.40

Generally speaking after first year of uni, you'll need a solid credit average (preferably distinction average) to get a transfer offer. Also a preferable UAI would be around 96.00. The number of applications for USYD transfers was up by 25% for 2009, so you should try your hardest with your HSC.

Uni marks are just as hard to predict, it's a totally different ball game, and it'll take some time before you get used to it. So you may/may not get a D average straight off. USYD this year started the option of taking either:

a) Your uni results alone (D average giving you a GPA of 6)
b) A combination of HSC and Uni results (Preferably around 96-97 UAI and GPA of 6)

kayvon

--
HSC
That's right :)
oh awesome--- so is that more a high cred or low cred?

also- this is more for people who have transferred in the past

how many law units do you do in 2nd year? 4 or 5? Ive heard conflicting stories
I dont think my course would let me do 5 for one year..

jtyler

HSC
2nd year as in the 1st year of law? 2 each semester (not counting legal research).

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
oh awesome--- so is that more a high cred or low cred?

also- this is more for people who have transferred in the past

how many law units do you do in 2nd year? 4 or 5? Ive heard conflicting stories
I dont think my course would let me do 5 for one year..
Preferably high credit. I'm currently doing 3 law subjects in my first year (but that's because two of my subjects are only worth 3 credit points). Otherwise it's just usually 2 law, 2 *insert other chosen course*

danieljkim

Atheism is non prophet
HSC
Hey guys. I got 99.15. Looking at high credit-average to distinction average. I.e. 5.88- 6.00.

Do i have a chance at a transfer.

Don't u think that transfer success is based on placings i.e. How many people do better than you than just the marks u get?

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)