transformations - emma and clueless (1 Viewer)

starzz

to anybody doing this section:

should be preparing an essay for this q. for eg. like if i disagree with clueless having the same themes as emma, but the exam q was

'while in the context, language and textual form have changed, the messages in Clueless are essentially the same msgs as in Emma'

should i have a prepared response to agree with this or just disagree with the statement.

esther

HSC
isnt it usualli a good idea to agree with the question???
the question isnt asking you to agree or disagree on whether u think that emma and clueless or not... all we need to do is compare and contrast on the 2 texts about the context and stuff...
you should be able to prepare... wot we did in class is just divide our page into a table with 2 coloumns one side for emma and one side for clueless and down one side we labelled context, style, ideas and values... we filled in the table and put page references and scene references...
well i hope that gives u an idea on how u can prepare....

when's this exam??

Matt

starzz - was that the emma/clueless question for the catholic trial?

starzz

NAH.. JUz a Q my teacher got from some lecture. we didn't do the catholic paper, but our Q wuz something similar in the form of radio interview. =)

Originally posted by starzz
NAH.. JUz a Q my teacher got from some lecture. we didn't do the catholic paper, but our Q wuz something similar in the form of radio interview. =)
I think I done that exam today , do you know what other questions there was in there?
Like the Lear one asked how you should use two different productions to show how ideas are presented.

esther

HSC
i had my eng exam today.... my hand was dead at the end of writing for 2hrs nonstop anyway i dunno which paper i did but it was an essay concerning values form and style

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Our question was on whether in the transformation of older texts to film they concentrated more on entertaining the masses rather than conveying a serious message about society....

stupid emma...stupid clueless....u know i still havent read emma and have no actual idea what its really about.
and as for clueless the only thing i remember is the opening song "kids in america' and the song that plays while shes choosin her clothes"fashion" by david bowie....that is the extent of my knowledge...

so i wrote 1 and a bit pages on absolute jack crap!!!!!!

tho my king lear article was pretty good....and my frontline essay was oki....i hate clueless!!!!

Sari

for that - a big thing we did was transformation v transferral - i.e. was the text changed or was it just put into new context? the middle ground is appropriation - the text was changed because it had to be to suit the new society, say new stuff, etc.

e.g. both attack the issue of a girl in society - think No Doubt's "I'm Just a Girl" and just the way Austen portrays the female characters. It attacks the same issue, however Austen dos it by showing a woman in her "rightful place" and how ridiculous it becomes - she does it subtly so her society will accept it - where Heckerling in the time of making statements comes out with such a song. Same issue - changed context and method of depiction.

I felt like that was a really fundamental thing to me . . . shut me up if im just bein a pain in the ass . . .

Marianna

Originally posted by starzz
to anybody doing this section:

should be preparing an essay for this q. for eg. like if i disagree with clueless having the same themes as emma, but the exam q was

'while in the context, language and textual form have changed, the messages in Clueless are essentially the same msgs as in Emma'

should i have a prepared response to agree with this or just disagree with the statement.
AGREE that is what the whole module is about the transformation of the text from one medium novel to another film and through time and different contexts however the message is still the same and both relate to the time period they were formed in

Emma/Cher blind to their own naivety and controlling powers
LOVE ---> big one etc etc

all the themes may have little changes but essentially are the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)