Transit officers to be replaced by Police (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-to-take-over-security-on-public-transport-20120214-1t3d2.html

NSW Police will take over security on Sydney's trains and buses, the government announced today.

The move means the end of the dedicated division of transit officers who had patrolled CityRail trains.

Under the new structure, a smaller group of transit officers will be solely responsible for "revenue protection" on buses, trains and ferries.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The Premier, Barry O'Farrell, announced the restructure today with the Police Minister, Mike Gallagher, the Transport Minister, Gladys Berejiklian, and Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione.

The government says that by 2014 a Police Transport Command will have a force of 610 officers.

This means hiring another 309 police officers to add to the 301 already in the commuter crime unit who will transfer to the new command.

RailCorp's current transit officer division has an "authorised strength" of about 600.

This will be reduced to 150 revenue protection officers.

Mr O'Farrell said:"To ensure better safety for commuters across all three modes of public transport, having police do this task is the best way to go.

"Transit officers will continue to do their fare evasion and other minor compliance work, but their activities will be extended from the rail system across the bus and ferry system as well," he said.

Ms Berejiklian said: "The transit officers will have a choice in what they want to do.

"They will be able to apply to actually become part of the police force," she said.

"They can apply to remain in the 150 officers that will remain and apply for employment in other positions or they can choose a voluntary redundancy."

D94

HSC
N/A
Meh, police guard/monitor my local train station and bus interchange anyway, so for the commuter, I don't think there's going to be that much difference (at least at my local station anyway).

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Oh yay, more things that the government is wasting our stolen money on.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Have a friend who gets terrified when near police. We were walking together at Central Station once and she's like, "I hate when police are walking around... I always think I did something wrong and they're going to get me".

Her uni commutes will therefore be 20% :( -er

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
probably get less complaints from people if they're being fined by a dude with a gun

Flying

HSC
It's not stolen...........

I'd rather police, transit officers don't do anything nor have much powers.
How about you look at the $200 fine i just received.

what a fucking stupid idea.

Transit officers are a much better option instead of police

Flying

HSC
the original idea 'replacing transit offers with police officers' is stupid.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I fail to see how this is a good thing. 450 transport guards are being laid off and 300 new police will be hired to police public transport instead. Sure, police are more effective although that is still a net decrease of 150 people working to protect others on public transport.

kfnmpah

HSC
Would prefer police. So many crazy people on trains/buses. The popo can actually exert some power.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I fail to see how this is a good thing. 450 transport guards are being laid off and 300 new police will be hired to police public transport instead. Sure, police are more effective although that is still a net decrease of 150 people working to protect others on public transport.
transit officers are there to fine you for whatever they can, not protect you lol

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
transit officers are there to fine you for whatever they can, not protect you lol
I know that and police are certainly better to have in the position, although it is still a net reduction of boots on the job. The government is complaining about companies like the maker of Mortein laying off 100 people etc, although here they are (the government) laying off 150 people themselves (not to mention all their other public service job cuts).

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
but why is that important if you "know that" their only function is to fine people

did you notice how they said they were going to let the transit officers apply to become cops in the new section

and they were going to hire more people

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
It's not stolen...........

I'd rather police, transit officers don't do anything nor have much powers.
Theft, the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent

Hence, stolen. I do not give my consent for it to be taken out of my income, but if I don't pay it I'm threatened with force and coercion.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
I heard they will increase it to 600 when they get more police

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)