• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

transitions (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
hi y'all...

i have a IP where i play two characters, one being a contestant and one being an announcer. i have a mike stand that i use as a transition point, but it is not clear enough. i have changed mannerisms, voice, everything i can think of, but it doesnt seem quite right...

if anyone has any ideas for me on how to make my second character easily discernable from the first, id love to hear them.

xx

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
hmm, you're doing the mary o donnel thing from bombshells right? with the talent quest? maybe you could just do a recording of the announcer's bits and play them over your performance. then again that might actually detract from the effectiveness....have you tried a small costume change or a change of lighting, maybe a bit of introductory music or something to announce the change in character? *racks brain* without seeing the performance its kinda hard to know what to say. good luck though.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
im trying to stay away from tech, but thanks. its ok i just need to consolidate my character. i already have singing backing tapes too, and i dont want more...

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hey AlleyCat...
I had a transition in my IP too, so I sympathise with you!
I know your monologue...but I can't for the life of me remember the length of the announcers part...so this suggestion might not apply...
How about, just before (around 10secs before) the announcer introduces Mary onstage you bow your head to cut off eye contact with the audience, or...keep very limited eye contact with the audience. I thought of this one because (and I'm basing this on Caroline O'Connor's interpretation of Mary) Mary is, despite her inital stage shyness and nervous excitement, she is predominantly an outgoing girl that just wants to win and be wonderful...so I'm guessing that she would feed off looking at the audience, keeping her head up and dazzling herself under the lights...

It really doesn't take something simple for a quick, clear transition...mine was a fall...then a pause...then a cresendo into the next character. I think eye contact could work for you.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
thanks. that might work, you know.

its just that she mimics so many people during the play that its hard to take 'real' life from her imitations. and while caroline might have done her character ambitious and eager and shy at first, i have taken her character to be a complete back stabbing bitch... hey, so.

but thanks again. ill try that tomorrow (yes saturday i know...*cries*)

ooh, and ive decided that my dream is to study at the VCA...so maybe ill see you some time. if i'm fortunate and your as talented as you seem.

best of luck.

charlottebronte

Hey i know it is incredibly difficult to make a transition as u r, I myself hav to create three other characters on stage with me which I am finding a challenge. The bos say that it is best if you use as least amount of lighting, sound and so forth as you can as u should be able to perform it in a shed abnd it still be the same. I think that u should have a clear mannerism of some sought for each character whether it is the way you work or the way u stand or something (i don't know be imaginative!) I know that u hav tried movement but i think that it is the most effective means of pulling off a character transition and if you can pull it off than that is a real credit to you! Have fun, not long to go till marking begins, goodluck!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)