Travelling Alone (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I want to get overseas for a short trip maybe in early Feb or late Jan (about 2.5 weeks) and I was thinking of going over to NZ and backpacking around because I don't have a huge amount of money. I haven't really got anyone to go with me though! Do you think if I went on my own and just made my own way around I would meet up with people at hostels and stuff? Or should I go on a planned trip like Contiki or something? I don't want something overly structured but I also don't want to be totally alone without much social interaction!

Anyone had any experiences they want to share? Any ideas, recommendations, advice?

elisabeth

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I want to get overseas for a short trip maybe in early Feb or late Jan (about 2.5 weeks) and I was thinking of going over to NZ and backpacking around because I don't have a huge amount of money. I haven't really got anyone to go with me though! Do you think if I went on my own and just made my own way around I would meet up with people at hostels and stuff? Or should I go on a planned trip like Contiki or something? I don't want something overly structured but I also don't want to be totally alone without much social interaction!

Anyone had any experiences they want to share? Any ideas, recommendations, advice?

Well, when you're young and backpacking, you will meet a bunch of people. Even in mudane places like the airport, when I was in Japan for the night on my own, I got talking to a lot of nice people. When I came back from England via Japan with my dad, I didn't meet anyone.

I guess it depends on who you're with and what they're like. My friends and I were in a pub in Berlin and we got talking to people because we were social (heh, the booze probably helped) and it was a young crowd. We met people at our hostels and stuff, but I think it would've been the same if it was just one of us on our own, because we were hanging around 'young', backpacker type places. If they're the sort of places you're spending your time - funky cafes, youth hostels, street fairs, whatever - then yeah, you are BOUND to meet people.

Hostels are a great place to meet people and get talking to other travellers - you're sharing your room with strangers, sitting next to them in the lobby or picnic tables, using shared lounge room/kitchen facilities - how can you not strike up conversations? it's informal and personally, a lot more fun that being hearded on and off a tour bus. I like the freedom of making your own schedule and little structure.

I dunno what kind of tour you're thinking of going on, but if you do maybe one with age boundaries (18-30 for example) or youthful activities (bungee jumping! clubbing!) is best - otherwise you might end up on a tour with a bunch of old people ;)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
travelling alone could be a bit scary. Maybe as you've suggested, join a Contiki tour or something, it's generally not as expensive as the other tours, + you get to meet people

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
backpacking is cool!! but id still get someone to come with me just because i know i will get lost. and its always better to be lost with a friend =]. but hey, thats just me and my tendency to not pay attention to anything (roads, cars etc) around me.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
braindrainedash, i think you should do a contiki tour if you're only going for a couple of weeks. the whole backpacking alone thing would work better with a larger time frame, where you don't really have time as something to worry about.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:

my cousin went on a contiki tour about a yr ago when he was 24. He loved it.. Had a great time. I think he wanted to go on another one aswell.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
backpacking would be heaps fun and ofcourse cheaper. and going by yourself is fine ... but for new zealand and such a short amount of time contiki tour would be much better.
Backpacking is more suited towards trips which last for months and is more suited towards places like europe.
Thats what i think anyway.

elisabeth

HSC
Think about your personal qualities. Can you handle being on your own? Do you feel comfortable introducing yourself/getting to know people on your own? Can you take charge of your own travel arragements/directions/budget etc? Do you feel comfortable to trust your instincts if you think you're in a dodgy situation? Good backpacker qualities.

Do you prefer someone else being the leader? Do you like the security & structure of knowing you'll go to x places and be in a group of x people? Do you like being part of a big group? Maybe a tour is the go.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks for all your advice. When I moved to Sydney I was all alone so I have no qualms about that, but now that people have mentioned it, the short time frame would probably lend itself better to a tour rather than a backpacking adventure.... but it's all just plans at the moment! Thanks for the advice!

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
hmmm i've never been to europe, but i have been to new zealand. And i see europe as a place where you can go hiking for the whole day and pass a few small villages or whatever, but you'll come across somewhere for the night. Correct me if i'm wrong. However, depending on where you go in NZ, there aren't many towns. I can honestly say that for the couple of weeks i've spent there i haven't seen many hikers. I realise they're there, but i haven't seen them. Most people go bike riding instead, unless it's a set walk like the 3-5 (or so) day hike near Milford Sound (can't remember what it's called).

Oh, and i was talking to some of the girls from work the other day, and they said that going on the contiki tour was the best time of their life. They're age limited, so you're with people round the same age, the accomodation might not be great, but you'll have an amazing time. they're planning to go again.

Happy deciding. Oh and Merry Christmas!

elisabeth

HSC
tomorrows_angel said:
hmmm i've never been to europe, but i have been to new zealand. And i see europe as a place where you can go hiking for the whole day and pass a few small villages or whatever, but you'll come across somewhere for the night. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Well, EU is very densely populated (compared to Oz, at least). So maybe in some places, that's true, but in my experience you won't drive/walk for very long before you reach a large town or city.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)