• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

TRIALS Help (1 Viewer)

princess112

HSC
The core study is driving me crazy, what i've seen from past independent and catholic trials from 2 years ago till now is that they tend to focus on trenches, reasons for stalemate those nice dot points should i trust my instinct and focus on them or does anyone who has already done an independent trial advise me otherwise...

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
The core study is a source based study so your focus should really be on analysing sources for their usefulness and reliability.

Most, if not all, the questions are comprehension based and those that require you to use your own knowledge doesn't necessitate detailed knowledge of the war. A general knowledge is more than sufficient since you also have to make room to incorporate sources into your answers.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
My teacher taught the core with extreme detailed, in class discussions and as such. But in terms of our notes, for each dotpoint we wouldn't have more than half a page to remember. The idea is that it is a source based exam, in which the sources will spark some connections with the information you have already learned throughout your study of the topic. The reason we have very little class notes, is purely because the 10 mark essay is based on source analysis - so you don't need to know content from the syllabus - and the fact that the maximum mark of a question is like 6 or 8 - which means only 6-8 valuable points of information. So really, you should have very broad knowledge on the core, and not extensive amounts of detail on each dot point, otherwise you really do get bogged down in information.

I think it's the Macquarie Study Guide which has flashcards in the back, if you make flash cards or notes in a similar manner, with only the important information it will help with breaking down the content for the core.

Doing past papers will also help you condense information, and will improve you ability to answer questions using both your own knowledge and the information from the sources.

To answer your question. No. Don't trust your gut instincts, they can literally ask you on anything. I've done a few trial past papers (CSSA, Independent and ARC) and there's been questions on the Homefronts, Trenches, Changing Attitudes, Turning Points, Women, The Big Three, and Tactics and Nature of Trench Warfare. So I would be trying to have notes on each dotpoint and doing a few past papers. It is really too much of a risk to just focus on those few that you mentioned. And I'd hate to see that happen to someone in the HSC exam.

Last edited:
HSC
My teacher taught the core with extreme detailed, in class discussions and as such. But in terms of our notes, for each dotpoint we wouldn't have more than half a page to remember. The idea is that it is a source based exam, in which the sources will spark some connections with the information you have already learned throughout your study of the topic. The reason we have very little class notes, is purely because the 10 mark essay is based on source analysis - so you don't need to know content from the syllabus - and the fact that the maximum mark of a question is like 6 or 8 - which means only 6-8 valuable points of information. So really, you should have very broad knowledge on the core, and not extensive amounts of detail on each dot point, otherwise you really do get bogged down in information.

I think it's the Macquarie Study Guide which has flashcards in the back, if you make flash cards or notes in a similar manner, with only the important information it will help with breaking down the content for the core.

Doing past papers will also help you condense information, and will improve you ability to answer questions using both your own knowledge and the information from the sources.

To answer your question. No. Don't trust your gut instincts, they can literally ask you on anything. I've done a few trial past papers (CSSA, Independent and ARC) and there's been questions on the Homefronts, Trenches, Changing Attitudes, Turning Points, Women, The Big Three, and Tactics and Nature of Trench Warfare. So I would be trying to have notes on each dotpoint and doing a few past papers. It is really too much of a risk to just focus on those few that you mentioned. And I'd hate to see that happen to someone in the HSC exam.
This this this. I got bogged down with information in my modern trial, at the expense of getting a few more marks in other sections (Ho, I'm looking at you). Just know everything generally and practise past papers (PARTICULARLY in source evaluation - that is really just a skill you need to develop).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)