• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Triple Major (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
I went to MyUni last night (administrative self-service for students at The University of Sydney), and went to choose my majors for Bachelor of Science. I was suprised to see that there were three available lists to choose from (all of identical major options of course); does that imply that you are allowed to triple major? That would be sweet.

Oh, and was also wondering if it was possible to just 'add on' a Bachelor of Engineering at the end of the year (I'm doing BSc; first year student), in which I'll then be doing BE/BSc (by basing their decision on this years GPA for BSc)?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i know a dude planning on attempting a triple major (in some financy-accounty-commercy type degree). personally, i think anyone that tries it (if its possible) is crazy and needs psychiatric treatment, but hey, if your up for it, it may be ok.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
well im not sre about usyds policy about that but a mate of mine "added" a Bsc at the end of her first yr so i assume itd be possible!

AND YEP 3 MAJORS IS ALLOWED..hehe i know this cos ill have three...and im going for double honours! joys of usyd cos its the only uni which allows three majors (i think, well in arts anyways)

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
My jap teacher did a triple major. Japanese, French and Social anthropology. Bit weird.

I think id only attempt a triple major if i had a million dollars stored away. I mean youd have no time to do anything else

Collin

HSC
N/A
So you're allowed three? SWEET. In actuality, I view myself only 'double majoring', because I'll be majoring in Mathematics, Computer Science and Information Systems, but Information Systems and Computer Science are quite related in that they are both.. well computers. So it's kinda different to 3 totally unrelated fields like say Biochem, Computers and er... Agriculture.. or something.

And yes I knew that you could add on BSc if you're already doing BE.. but I'm not sure whether or not you could do the reverse.. I've had several sources implying that you couldn't. So yeah.. hopefully that isn't true. :D

But since I know that you can triple major now, I don't really care too much for BE anymore. If I get in, I get in, If I don't.. meh.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Another question based on HECS, do they charge you a relatively fixed amount each semester, or does it vary depending on the number of subjects you're doing?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Another question based on HECS, do they charge you a relatively fixed amount each semester, or does it vary depending on the number of subjects you're doing?
they charge per subject.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
haha triple majors just taking three subjects for three yrs...u have plenty of tim..hehe actually my frinend added a bsc to a Barts...mine are inter realted, history, ancient history and english

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'm already doing subjects only relevant to the majors.. I'm dropping Physics, Chemistry and Biology for semester 2, and doing only mathematics or software related subjects. I mean, people might say that's silly.. but by the looks of how I'm going for those science subs in sem 1 really shows my lack of motivation and hence progression in them.

So yeah.. next sem I'm only doing 15 credit points, but will easily make that up when there are alot more computer related subs available next year.

And my degree will probably take 4 years actually.. cause I chose software late.. which means I'm gonna have to do sem 2's software next year.. slowing me down a year. Plus there's the chance that I might fail MATH1902, since my workload for the other science subjects were so exorbitant.

I wouldn't of mind doing BA/BSc actually.. in that case I'd major in Philosophy for Arts. Always interested in that.

Collin

HSC
N/A
It's actually in context. If you beg to differ, simply confirm so again and I'll explain it via PM.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hey, i dunno about other unis or faculties or anything, but at newcastle, for a major in BSc, you need to do at least 40 units (4 subjects) of that subject at 3000 level..
so the way im thinking, it would only be possible to do a double major, right? 40+40=80..
coz to do a triple (40+40+40), that would be 60 units a semester, and i dont think they allow it (well unless you beg and perform sexual favours for whoever is in charge of that sorta stuff)

or am i totally lost?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i dont think they allow it (well unless you beg and perform sexual favours for whoever is in charge of that sorta stuff)
:uhoh::(

peteski01

Enlarged Member
HSC
N/A
Nah collin, don't think you can just add on engineering from science.. talk to you later about it.

cayte

You can actually do four in my degree (Liberal studies - 4 years) if you choose your subjects right. Just remember that you can't count the same subject towards two majors unless you have special permission I believe. This may only apply to certain faculties and/or Senior levels of study, but check it out with your faculty office.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
WOA!!!!!!!
3 majors!!! heaps cool... =) hehe...

JKD!!!!!!how could you drop chem, phys, bio!!!!!! =( omg!!!and you are failing 1902??? don't worry, we will fail together =p

MuSaRuRWa

with a BA/BCom at unsw, u can do 2 majors of each making it 4 too .... but unlike a bcom/bsc, this one's 5 yrs long i think

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by MuSaRuRWa
with a BA/BCom at unsw, u can do 2 majors of each making it 4 too ....
actually you cant, you can only do 3 majors 'officially' as given in the Commerce handbook - a single major+minor or double major in commerce, and a major from arts
however, there are actually enough credit points from the arts component (108CP) to do a double arts major too, but Im unsure of whether this is expressly allowed

MuSaRuRWa

i thought it was, cos i know someone doing marketing n intl business from comm, and eco history and psyc from arts :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)