• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Trouble with the Definition (1 Viewer)

Robbeh

HSC
I'm having a trouble grasping the whole definition of the Imaginative Journeys idea. Personally, I am a little bit dissatisfied with our English faculty for not even giving us a clear definition. I have read our school's summary of what the syllabus defines and my interpretation of imaginative journeys is:
The process (usually inspired by a physical journey of some sought) of thought which brings one to a world of imagination, speculation or inspiration [as well as reflection], in order to challenge one's thinking with the power of the imagination therefore broadening one's understanding of the world and/or oneself.
That's great and all but to me that's just a lot of doubletalk!

Nevertheless, I have bullet pointed my interpretation of the Imaginative Journey:
  • a catalyst which brings protagonist into worlds of imagination, speculation, inspiration or reflection
  • examination of this journey and changes/challenges thinking
  • enlightenment attained through the journey and the power of the imagination
Granted, most of what that is - is what is in the quote.

Can anyone present a better grasp of the imaginative journey?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Robbeh

HSC
BUMP: also a lot of others

imaginative journeys transport people into uncertainity where confrontation with the unknown creates the capacity for self development

In transcending reality, the imaginative journey provides us access into worlds which might otherwise remain inaccessible. It is a testament of the human ability to function beyond the merely physical level, as we venture into the metaphysical realm.

Imaginative journeys open up amazing possibilities - limited only by our capacity to imagine. And they offer a reprieve from the realities of life.

"a journey of the mind"

http://community.boredofstudies.org/315/focus-imaginative-journeys/66654/faq-tempest.html

+ Imaginative journeys take us into worlds of inspiration, speculation and imagination

+ Imaginative journeys broaden the mind to allow the understanding of the world

· Imaginary journeys takes us from the reality now and tranfers us into unreal existances or different worlds that not only entertain us, but help to learn more about the world we inhabit [zelda]

· Imaginary journeys takes us from the reality now and tranfers us into unreal existances or different worlds that can only exist in our minds [Grey Council]

· I think an imaginative journey CAN challenge or explore elements of society or humanity. I don't know if it HAS to--- there are some I can think of which I can't really get much from [clerisy]

· Imaginative journeys are all about the powers of the mind; using the imagination to create an alternate reality. [Darkstar]

· Imaginative Journeys can be anything, as long as its fictional and shows some type of charachter development, because a developing charachter is taking a journey. Obviously.
Journeys that change us can come not only from an individuals perception of said journey but also from the individuals relationship with society and that accepting any type of responsibilities will bring about a journey in oneself. [Krangelus]

· what separates imaginative journeys from other forms is that the destination is not a physical place; rather it is a state of mind [AGB]

· Imaginative journeys allow the audience to explore foreign concepts and ideas or situations which they normally would be unable to do in their physical guise [Ziff]

kloudsurfer

HSC
Robbeh said:
Can anyone present a better grasp of the imaginative journey?
No.

Seriously though, were you actaully asking us that question? Do you really not understand the concept of the imaginative journey? Based on your posts it sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp of the imaginative journey. Thats all there is too it. In fact, its a really good definition.
Anyway, the whole point of the imaginative journey is that it is boundless, therefore undefinable.
So you can define it as whatever the hell you want as long as you can justify it.

Robbeh

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Seriously though, were you actaully asking us that question? Do you really not understand the concept of the imaginative journey? Based on your posts it sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp of the imaginative journey. Thats all there is too it. In fact, its a really good definition.
Anyway, the whole point of the imaginative journey is that it is boundless, therefore undefinable.
So you can define it as whatever the hell you want as long as you can justify it.
Hm.

Guess I'm just having troubles fitting it in with the question and the text I'm using. Maybe we just haven't gotten too deeply into The Tempest yet.
We were given a practice listenening assignment and I thought that was quite yuck. Just feeling shakey before assessments etc-

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)