• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Try hard but do bad (1 Viewer)

jonhysmitw2

HSC
Why is it that when i try really hard for a test I do average, and then when I don't put too much effort in I get like top 5???? It literally makes me just not want to try hard

carrotsss

HSC
If you study super hard (especially if it’s ineffective study) then you get stressed and perform worse. To avoid this, study effectively in ways that actually increase your marks, and try stress reducing techniques

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
Why is it that when i try really hard for a test I do average, and then when I don't put too much effort in I get like top 5???? It literally makes me just not want to try hard
Bro why is this so true πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€ I have this happen to me every yr. Only last term I was expecting to 100 a HY for math 3u test that I studied around 10-12 hours cumilatively on, and I was hit with a 86% (luckily I picked up on a marking error, so I was able to squeeze out another 5%)... and the science test I expected to lose 7 marks got a 95%

Last edited:

howcanibesmarter

HSC
dont be too hard on urself, sometimes things just doesnt turn out the way we want it to be lol... i do get ur frustration, been there done that but theres no point worrying about it. Though if you didn't try at all and somehow got a really high mark, I congratulate you, not many people can do that and I can tell u right now a lot of people wished they could get a good mark without having to dedicate time to study.

The real question is to ask yourself, why and how. Why did u not study a lot? Was it because of lack of motivation? And how? How was it possible that you got a higher mark. It might be because it takes time to process things, and if you cram a lot, it will overload ur brain and on the day of the exam you actually might do worse due to the stress that you get.

Like, as in if you know u tried so hard, the pressure on you to do well increases BECAUSE your expectations increase too. Maybe when you weren't trying, there wasn't much to loose, and thus less pressure was on you to do well. Any maybe because of that lack of stress and lowered expectations caused youacutally do better in an exam.

again, idk just a thought :) not much advice here but this is what i persoanlly thought when i was in ur situation

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
i'm starting to enjoy english bcz i've noticed how much progress i've made since y10 and feel kinda confident in like writin β€” recently compared writing style from first y10 assessment to writing style now and i'm also using a usyd branded pen to feel like some rich eastern suburbs art major (pretentiousness overflow)
doing short answer qns is fun tho and i'll do a lot over the holidays (yay, qn compilations!) bcz prelins will have saqs and they're easy to score well in
usyd branded pens write hella slow tho

dav53521

HSC
are we doing the sm questions bc i wanna tear my eyelashes out every time i see a question worth more than 4 marks
Don't worry most people are in the same boat as you as I still remember the comments on a photo that was in the short ans for the 2022 eng adv paper 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)