Tutor for Fall of Rome/Alexander & English (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My name is Mike, and I'm looking to start tutoring (at home) around the Parramatta area regarding the topics:

• Fall of Roman Republic 133-28 BC
  • Alexander the Great Personality
  • English Advanced/Extension/Extension II mentor

I received a 86.10 UAI with a 49/50 for Extension II English in 2003. I am currently doing a Bachelor of Media in Multimedia with subjects ranging in:
  • Ancient History
  • Media Studies
  • Cultural Studies
  • Philosophy
  • Sociology
  • Japanese Culture

with a further intention of doing a Graduate Bachelor of Education majoring in Ancient History and English. I am also a Grade 2 (Senior) Adjudicator for Catholic Schools Debating Association, as well as partipating in PR roles for Macquarie University and as a volunteer Mentor at Macquarie. My work thus far has involved helping through the giving of official academic advice to HSC students through Open Days and Macquarie Info Days, as well as helping first year Macquarie students transition over into the tertiary life.

While my HSC grades are not as flashy as a 99.95 UAI, I have only found out through university of my desire to teach, and had no intention of teaching during high school, so had little to aim at. I have attained a Credit+ average in Ancient History and Distinction/High Distinction average in Media Studies. I believe that a look through my posts within the English/Ancient forums will help demonstrate my understanding of the subject and my ability to teach it.

My rates are usually $25/h and am available all week except Wednesday and Thursday (for the first semester, you will be advised for changes to the timetable according to my Semester 2 timetable).

My aim is to not only help you understand the topic but also help develop the research, analytical and conceptual/ideological skills needed for tertiary education and the real world.

If you are interested, please don't hesistate to PM me to inquire about time and availability.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
A referral

Mike has helped me out with a number of university assessments, and two things really strike me about his tutoring style.

* Firstly, he has an extremely good grasp of his content. We are not talking about a memorised number of facts, statistics and quotes (well, that too) - he actually has a deep understanding of what he's talking about, and can be quite passionate about it. This guy is not just going to regurgitate what he learnt in his HSC year - you'll get much more, from the perspective of a uni student who is NOT just out of the HSC, and who has had time to think about concepts brought up in the HSC and explore them further at uni-level.

* Secondly, he is very approachable and has a very down-to-earth style of talking. He's not going to talk right over your head with an overload of multi-syllable words (although he could if he wanted to), he'll explain things in the simplest way possible/the best way possible to help you understand the topic at hand. I frequently have trouble with finer theoretical points because I can rarely find people to explain the really complex things to me in non-complex language that I can actually understand (I'm the type of person who needs things in PLAIN ENGLISH lol) - but Mike is one of those very special people :)

On a final note I'd like to express how much I respect tutors like Mike who aim to not only help you gain a deeper understanding of your subject, but to teach you the skills for you to help yourself gain a deeper understanding of your subject. Rote-learning can only take you so far, and only as far as the end of the HSC. Mike can help you improve your current skills and get you to a level where you can work independantly without having to rely on a tutor (a trap far too many HSC students fall into). You will need such independant skills at university, where it is nigh impossible to find a tutor for your subject!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)