tutoring (1 Viewer)

bubblesss

HSC
hey!!!!!
hey guys i'm looking for tutoring next year. anyone know of any good coaching colleges - matrix, talent 100 etc anyone gone there before. opinions would be helpful. also which college is good for english?????/

kony

HSC
copied from my thread:

FAQ:

Why should I choose private tuition, rather than a tutoring centre?

1. There is simply not enough individual attention placed to ensure you perform to your best. Tutoring centres are often noisy and they have very strict timetabling issues, which means you have little flexibility. With private tutoring, you can decide when you want it, where you want it.

tutoring centres are actually not cheaper than private tutoring. See Matrix or Prior, both of which charge >$30/hr.

2. But you just finished your HSC, what would you know about teaching? You are a noob.

Yes, that might be the case, but again, there are a few reasons why I or another private tutor would be a better teacher:

a. I only just recently was doing exams like you, so I know HOW to do exams, and how to maximise your marks. How about a teacher with 30+ years of experience, you say? Well, when was the last time he or she had to do an exam? Do they know the correct mindset, do they know how to deal with exam-related stress?

b. I know exactly what's needed to get full marks. You might say "well I found a HSC marker, surely they know that too". That simply is not the case. They may know what a VERY good response ought to be, but they have no idea as to whether that is a realistic outcome. They also charge exorbitant fees of more than >$60 an hour. I can give you exactly the same or more with probably half the price. With all goods and services, price does not equal value.

c. tutoring colleges are ineffective in that there's always someone pulling you down, because they're not paying attention, or someone who's blitzing it, making you feel stupid, and as a result, become more nervous and become afraid to ask questions.

---

Also, english group tutoring just doesn't work. If you want someone to go over your essays, the only choice is a private tutor. If you want someone to tell you what to include in those essays, why pay a term's fees when you can get the same information in 5 minutes?

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Matrix is pretty good but rather expensive. Though I guess you can use that price for private tutor. Don't go Pre Uni. Those staff can't even photocopy properly :L

CBK

Banned
HSC
I finally got into 'Intuition'.S My tutor unreal, helps soooo much and is a whizz on all texts for Hsc...... I have improved soooooo much in the last few months that my teacher(bitch) in school thinks I copied from one of the geeks in the class. How dare she?? hahahh . So if you want a band 6 this is your best deal!!!!! Everyone is talking about her at my school but she does have a waiting list for next year so cat fast in you really want in.

What you doing?? advanced or extension???? standard??????

smushieex

HSC
yeah, i'm looking for new coaching colleges or private tutors.
I go to discovery .. and well, I'm not 100% satisfied with what i'm paying. (well, what my parents are paying lol)

Does anyone know any other places that are relatively easy to travel to by train?
(Discovery's right by Strathfield station .. I know matrix is too, but I don't want to go there)

rolror88

HSC
N/A
smushieex said:
yeah, i'm looking for new coaching colleges or private tutors.
I go to discovery .. and well, I'm not 100% satisfied with what i'm paying. (well, what my parents are paying lol)

Does anyone know any other places that are relatively easy to travel to by train?
(Discovery's right by Strathfield station .. I know matrix is too, but I don't want to go there)
Matrix is hopeless for English, similar story with Discovery. Maybe try Pre-Uni, but after my experiences with coaching colleges, I tried a private tutor (who's a HSC marker), and I'm seeing a significant improvement in my English skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)