• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Two question about studying law in uni (1 Viewer)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, can someone tell me what reading week is?-i.e. do you just catch up on all your law readings and homework during that week? and how long does it usually take to get an assignment or test back?-i.e. comments, marks etc from the time you handed it in or do the test?
thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my queries:)

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
reading... week???

I have never heard of that in any faculty let alone law... If you are referring to SWOTVAC; that's just one or two weeks prior to your exam period where you are meant to be studying and not attending school...

when would you get your assessments back; that is purely dependant on the teacher... many of them are prompt, some of them take their time... I find the ones that sit on them are more laid back... If you're thinking you are going to get comments on your assessment, you're wrong... most teachers simply put check marks all over your paper and pull a number out of their arse IMHO... It's not their fault, its just issues relating to time constraints, etc... However, there are the teachers that are really helpful and actually take the time to constructively criticise you (in fact, some teachers don't give feedback for that specific reason)... Most lecturers and tutors are more than happy to take a seat with you and explain your mark if you wish to receive some sort of feedback that is not on your paper...

on average, I wouldn't say no more than 3 weeks... give or take... However, I have waited up to 7 weeks for a mark; which turned out good anyway...

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Hi, can someone tell me what reading week is?-i.e. do you just catch up on all your law readings and homework during that week? and how long does it usually take to get an assignment or test back?-i.e. comments, marks etc from the time you handed it in or do the test?
thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my queries:)
1) There isnt a specific reading week, you usually have a break in the middle of the semester and the week before exams (STUVAC). Some lecturers may give you a week off to catch up on assignments or whatever, but that's pretty uncommon.

2) It depends on how fast the lecturer decides to mark, the class size etc. When I was doing Law, the assignment turnover time was usually a bit longer than what it was for Business, but the assignments were usually marked more thoroughly. A rough estimate would be about 2 - 4 weeks.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
At UNSW we have a reading week. It's basically a week where you catch up with readings, writing notes etc.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
At UTS we don't have a designated STUVAC week, but some Law subjects finish the week before exams which is kind of like STUVAC, although other subjects (at least in business) run until the exams start. You would usually get your assignments back within 2-4 weeks, and like the above posts have said, the marking is more meticulous, meaning it takes a lot longer to mark than in business. My experience so far with assignments is that they have some pretty comprehensive individual feedback, and then there are also generalised feedback released to the cohort. Even after that, the Law faculty allows you to arrange an interview with your marker to discuss your paper, provided you have legitimate questions that haven't been answered by your individual feedback and the general feedback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)