• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Typed Notes (1 Viewer)

thoseWords

HSC
:S
I've heard it said that when you type you remember less - is this true ?

lol... i write my notes but typing them would be *soooo* much easier ^^

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Apparently, I've heard that writing is better for absorbing your notes, it has something to do with your hand registering or connecting it to your brain. Unless if you're short on time, then I guess you could type your notes to save time in the short run.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
When you write, you understand more better and thus it's easier for it to become concrete in your head. I've always typed my notes, but at the moment i'm writing them. Despite the fact that it's faster, i prefer typing because i am a obessive person who rips out pages whenever i make a stupid error or if it's messy. I have to get rid of that habit lol

Last edited:

w00dy.

HSC
i found that writing my notes is alot better than typing them. ive found that as i write the notes i get a better understanding of what i am writing and alot of the stuff that i once wrote down that never made sense. all makes sense now.

in the end it runs down to what suits you best.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
i quickly write my dot point notes down on one-sided paper, and then i type them all up and use the typed up notes as a guide for that topic, so when it comes to study, i summerise off the typed up notes

volition

arr.
HSC
I personally prefer handwritten notes. I actually think I get more benefit out of writing them than I do reading them. I find that typing notes is shit and wanky and that it doesn't help very much at all.

P

pLuvia

thoseWords said:
:S
I've heard it said that when you type you remember less - is this true ?

lol... i write my notes but typing them would be *soooo* much easier ^^
Not necessarily, I tried typing but doesn't really work with me so I just write it all out

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
I prefer writing them out to typing them up.. Dunno why, it just works for me I guess. Maybe I feel as though I'm doing more, and get more out of it? *shrugs* what works, works. Go with that :)

flowergrl

HSC
apparently it's true. I've tried it, and in my case, I remember nothing if I type it out.

By old scientific data at the back of my brain from some random magazine, you tend to remember better if you write it because of spelling, punctuation and the exact word placement tends to fit better under that "look, cover, write, check" method primary kids use. it would be of no use, would it, if you just typed them out without diagrams and stuff coz all you'll be remembering is the placement of your fingers on the keyboard. lol.

Mr-X

HSC
I've been typing some of my notes and writing some of them this year and for me I feel I get more from writing.
I don't really take much in while I'm typing or when I read them after I print them.
When I write them out, I feel like I'm actually "working hard" and I do take in the information more than if I was typing them up. It's easier for me to focus on my writing rather than something printed out too.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Because my writing is so messy, I print them out, then write them out again. A waste of time, I think, but at least I have semi-absorbed them while typing (hopefully), both looking at what I type on the screen and referring to my raw notes while doing so, and then writing them out again.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
lol I write my notes for the subjects that I actually, well, make notes, regularly. But for stuff like preparing for the health yearly in Year 10 was just a last-week thing with typed notes :p

HSC
airie said:
lol I write my notes for the subjects that I actually, well, make notes, regularly. But for stuff like preparing for the health yearly in Year 10 was just a last-week thing with typed notes :p
I've never had a 'health yearly' :p

imprsiv

HSC
LOL health notes, i wish writing notes did make u feel healthy

Kmahal1990

HSC
Writing hand notes is probably better for remembering contexts. But there are several disadvantages, such as if you have really bad writing, you can barely read the notes. Also when your writing notes you tend to be really lazy and try to cut down things to a minimum and wont be bothered correcting fragmented and or sentences that do not make sense. And probably most importantly, you just cant get that much information down by writing. I see the smart students in my school carrying around 20 pages of typed full page notes for each subject, and cannot agree more that hand writing will omit alot of detail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)