UAI not reflecting HSC marks ? (1 Viewer)

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
For example, say a person's HSC marks were pretty good.. but then their UAI was pretty bad. Why is that ? Is it due to scaling or the state percentile crap..

jacsmshs

The HSC mark is 50% of your assessment marks. The other 50% (called the hsc mark) is determined by rank... for example... at your school if you came 12th in a course, you would get the 12th highest mark from the hsc marks from your school... so you actually dont get your own mark you get your positioned mark. Whereas the UAI is determined by your actual mark that you recieved for subjects but is scaled because of the difficulty of the subject. Thats why there can be such a big difference in the UAI to the HSC.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Annegelic - read the You and Your UAI brochure.

It describes the answer to your question in simple language and provides detailed examples.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
um.. to anser the question honestly.. UAI DOES reflect HSC marks; the UAI is derived directly from our HSC marks; i don't see how they would calculate the UAI otherwise. However, the algorithm they use produces a rank(as a percentile), as opposed to a mark(which describes what you can do-think of HSC outcomes).

HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
um.. to anser the question honestly.. UAI DOES reflect HSC marks; the UAI is derived directly from our HSC marks; i don't see how they would calculate the UAI otherwise. However, the algorithm they use produces a rank(as a percentile), as opposed to a mark(which describes what you can do-think of HSC outcomes).

Ah ok, whatever man. My UAI was lower than my lowest hsc mark. And there was a 20 mark difference between my highest HSC subject and my UAI.

dont_b_simple

all this scaling crap. what happens if someone chooses subjects that scale them up, do bad at em but get a good uai compared to someone who chooses subjects that rank low, do well in em and gets a really low uai...isn't that unfair
im bloody pissed off

d_elmo

HSC
there is a reason why different courses scale differently. example, i really dont think a 90 in general maths is worth nearly as much as a 90 in extension 2 maths... it would be a pretty stuffed up system if they were worth the same, in which case everyone would do the easiest subjects possible...

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
d_elmo said:
there is a reason why different courses scale differently. example, i really dont think a 90 in general maths is worth nearly as much as a 90 in extension 2 maths... it would be a pretty stuffed up system if they were worth the same, in which case everyone would do the easiest subjects possible...
They had that for a while back in the day.

And to anyone who complains about scaling, don't complain about something you don't understand.

tristan88

HSC
I agree, scaling is misunderstood.
Everything is relative, there is nothing stopping an arts student from outdoing someone with science/math subjects. This is why it's best to do those subjects you're good at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)