UAISeeker? Is it accurary? (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
but when the time comes when you get the HSC results, the UAISeeker doesn't allow you to input marks, only percentiles.
We're actually currently in the process of writing a new interface for the UAISeeker which will allow you to choose whether you want to enter marks or percentiles.

Originally posted by kini mini
What if people weren't evenly distributed? You know you're somewhere in that 8%, but where? It's a good guess, but not really certain.

Originally posted by MinAi
obviously within that 8%, marks will be all over the place, so jus take an easy generalisation I guess...is there any other more accurate way?
Except for the very top and very bottom bands, where percentages of students are low, I think it's valid to assume that the marks are (at least approximately) distributed evenly over each band. Remember that we're not looking at raw marks (which would have a very unpredictable distribution) but instead aligned marks, which reflect student performance. It seems odd (well, to me) that in any one of the intermediate bands, student performance would not have ranged over the entire spectrum. That's how I justify using the linear approximation, anyway.

A better method might take into account the mean and standard deviation... although I'm not really too sure that they would be of much help with an abnormal distribution. Combining the UAC percentiles with the BOS percentiles helps too.

Originally posted by blazezs
I can't select 100% and it will only let me select 99% and thats the MAX i can select

And another question, wouldn't it be a BAND 6 if you got 99% for IPT??
Aesthetically, it looks nicer if 100 isn't included in the drop-down boxes. :) One percentile really doesn't make much of a difference anyway.

Yes, it would be a band 6 if you got 99% for IPT. However, a mark placed at the 99th percentile would not necessarily equate to a band 6 mark. Don't confuse percentiles with percentages. In 2001, your percentile needed to be around 99.3 to equate to a band 6 mark. In 2002 you could have gotten away with a mark at the 97th percentile.

blazezs

LOL

So Lazarus, when do you think you will be finished the new vision which allows users to input there marks & percentages? :D

Yeah, I'm just finding it hard to believe even if i got 99% for all my subjects my UAI will still be 97.30% :(

hehe, thanks everyone for the great explaintation, say Lazarus do you own Ozseek.com :p

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Except for the very top and very bottom bands, where percentages of students are low, I think it's valid to assume that the marks are (at least approximately) distributed evenly over each band. Remember that we're not looking at raw marks (which would have a very unpredictable distribution) but instead aligned marks, which reflect student performance. It seems odd (well, to me) that in any one of the intermediate bands, student performance would not have ranged over the entire spectrum. That's how I justify using the linear approximation, anyway.
Yeah, I agree that it's a good approximation :). I made that assumption when I was guessing mine last year anyway :p.

This is all making me think of the stupid law faculty bell curve process...oh well, I'll be fine so long as I pass.

blazes So Lazarus, when do you think you will be finished the new vision which allows users to input there marks & percentages?

Yeah, I'm just finding it hard to believe even if i got 99% for all my subjects my UAI will still be 97.30%
Balzes, you'd better hope that the law faculty doesn't hand out the 60% assignment anytime soon :p. When that happens, a few of us will disappear :p.

Your subjects must generally be pretty poorly scaled if your maximum UAI is so low :confused:.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Re: LOL

So Lazarus, when do you think you will be finished the new vision which allows users to input there marks & percentages? :D
Well, I've already sent off the code to the Ozseek developer I'm working with, so it shouldn't be too much longer. Simply needs to go through a testing phase, and then it will be put online (and you'll get two extra ratings in the 'reverse' edition too).

hehe, thanks everyone for the great explaintation, say Lazarus do you own Ozseek.com :p
No. :) They're a separate entity - the UAISeeker is a joint project.

Balzes, you'd better hope that the law faculty doesn't hand out the 60% assignment anytime soon :p. When that happens, a few of us will disappear :p.
LOL! Yeah, our tutor held a little discussion with us about it - apparently we'll get it in week 10. :( The only good thing that came out of that talk was that the casenote won't relate to the readings, and we won't ever be tested on them either! No more Foundations readings. :D

blazezs

Your subjects must generally be pretty poorly scaled if your maximum UAI is so low :confused:.
Yeah my subjects are really poorly scaled,

1. Business Services >> Poorly Scaled, I'll be happy if it doesn't scale me down that hard :(

2. IPT >> Can't feel the difference unless i can get above 90% :(

3. Economic >> Yepppy, thats the HIGHEST scaled subject for me

4. English >> Badly scaled, it actually scales me down :mad1:

5. Legal Studies >> Can't feel the difference unless i can get above 90% :mad1:

Ohhh well, just have to do my best and let those ppl who get paided do the maths :D

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: LOL

Originally posted by Lazarus

LOL! Yeah, our tutor held a little discussion with us about it - apparently we'll get it in week 10. :( The only good thing that came out of that talk was that the casenote won't relate to the readings, and we won't ever be tested on them either! No more Foundations readings. :D
That's this week! Argh! Yeah I know about the readings, but I think of them as work towards CP so I can say something in class :p. I read the Mabo extract in one hit yesterday, Wik will have to wait :D.

Originally posted by blazes

Yeah my subjects are really poorly scaled,

snip

Ohhh well, just have to do my best and let those ppl who get paided do the maths
It isn't too bad though, depending on what you want to get into :). Even eco doesn't do that well at higher levels, languages are the best :D.

blazezs

Re: Re: Re: LOL

It isn't too bad though, depending on what you want to get into :). Even eco doesn't do that well at higher levels, languages are the best :D.
It is bad :(

The only subject which I MUST be well is all of them :D

No matter how much they scale me down, it still counts towards my UAI :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)