• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Umat S1 (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
velox said:
they do release the sample question booklet.
i know that...what i meant was that its hardly enough to practice off, hence listing the three realistic oprions...something that Lexicographer over there might like to keep in mind :)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
there isn't much point practicing for umat. It yields very small returns. However familiarisation with the questions and time limits does help and thats exactly what the acer booklet is there for.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
velox said:
there isn't much point practicing for umat. It yields very small returns. However familiarisation with the questions and time limits does help and thats exactly what the acer booklet is there for.
I would agree with that. And stress less, hard as it may seem. :)

(nb. velox was correct in saying that i did no umat prep...naturally smart - thats a different matter...)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I've modified my opinion regarding the magnitude of returns from preparation.

It simply can not be denied that my jump from 62% to 99% in §III was anything short of miraculous. To me it was a matter of some delicacy, as I had spent the better part of a year telling people that studying for the UMAT was pointless and counterproductive.

Basically, I would say STUDY is misguided, but there is no harm in being PREPARED. Know what you are up against, take some time to investigate and be familiar with the challenges ahead. In my case I was naturally adept at the logic games because I'd been playing them my whole life. I was particularly succesful in the empathy section because I had put much time (and energy) both mentally considering and physically executing the very methods they put forth. My weakness in 2003 was the shapes section, and the difference here was that while I had considerable experience in the other two fields, I'd never seen such a thing before.

Needless to say, I changed that. In 2004 I was particularly fortunate because they increased the use of sequence puzzles which (like the logic games) I'd been doing for many years.

Basically, familiarity rather and confidence are far more advantageous than some devised "formula for success".

tkdwhiz1188

HSC
Seriously all you doctors in the making are inspirational... so smart! Keep it up, people like you are needed desperately!
LOLX...a bit off task...bit sweet n cute nonetheless...

1) Go to a prep course
Yep...I've signed up with Medentry n Umatology. But I'm still worried abt S1! I got 13/15 for S3 of the sample booklet but I'm doing crap at Medentry's S3. I'm wondering if its becoz its harder...

Btw, did last yrs UMAT have plenty of Strengthen/Weaken questions for S1? tt's the only type i'm gd at...

Zali

HSC
R they the questions that say 'which results would stregthen/weaken the hypothesis....'

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Depends on which kind. Mensa make puzzles that are helpful for §I as well (try the test on their website).

If anyone asks me for their website I'll nep them - learn to google.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)