• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Umat (1 Viewer)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I don't think that I'll be doing UMAT next year, since I'm not considering doing stuff like medicine at university. But who knows, I might do it out of curiosity or just to leave my options open. :)

F-O-B

HSC
I did the online test last year...failed horribly. lol.

Why not, keep my options open. :)

F-O-B

HSC
From the UMAT website itself: "Intensive preparation is not advisable or necessary" and "ACER and the UMAT Consortium universities do not recommend or endorse any commercially available courses offering UMAT preparation."

You dont need to do a lot of study to get in, well for some ppl anyway, my brother did a few practise test from the website, and he passed with flying colours.

Ppl miss the point of the test...if any random could study for it hard and get in whats the point... the high UAI cut off already demonstrates ur ability to learn...

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Yeah I 'MIGHT' be sitting for the UMAT early. I just haven't really thought about it yet, even though I want to get into my course of medicine....

Edit:

I have completed two sections in the practice questions without having looked at them before and got 6/6. Section 3 requires more thinking but can be solved. Why do people fail it? What is the pass mark?

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
F-O-B said:
"It's a percentage of how many people you beat in that section in that particular year."
http://community.boredofstudies.org/46/buy-sell/31769/wtb-umat-stuff.html

but wow u must be good Razizi...although i'd imagine u'd be in a lot more pressure, when actually sitting the test...trying to finish in time, and actually getting it right.
Ah I get it. I thought you meant pass, as in 50%+ lol. If you failed like that (<50%), as you mentioned above, I'd be like "Jeez F-O-B....." ;). But if it's a percentage of how many people you beat in that section, then there's obviously more competition in order to obtain the highest mark against other students.

I hope that made sense lol. And another question. I found this on the UMAT homepage:

UMAT is available to any candidate whose educational level at the time of sitting the test is their final year of secondary schooling, or higher. Candidates registering for UMAT2008 should have already completed, or plan to complete their final year of secondary schooling in 2008 (ie Year 12 in Australia; Year 13 in New Zealand).
Is it possible for us HSC 09'ers to sit for the test this year, get a really high mark, and keep the mark, just like HSC accelerated students do if they do well in their HSC this year?.

Thanks.

Amaraj

HSC
Does anyone know where they hold UMAT workshops for UMAT prep?
amZ

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
UMAT:
1/ Time is the main killer
2/ there is no "pass" mark per se. Interviews and places can be granted based on the Top XYZ places. It may also be weighted with UAI and Interview scores.
3/ To get a decent score you need to do well over 3 sections.

now whether or not the UMAT is bs, I have no opinion on it. however you need it to get into basically all medical programs for year 12 leavers. :)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
UMAT:
1/ Time is the main killer
2/ there is no "pass" mark per se. Interviews and places can be granted based on the Top XYZ places. It may also be weighted with UAI and Interview scores.
3/ To get a decent score you need to do well over 3 sections.

now whether or not the UMAT is bs, I have no opinion on it. however you need it to get into basically all medical programs for year 12 leavers. :)
Yeah, like what's the point of UMAT? In section 3, it's more like an IQ test. And Po1ntDeXt3r what are you currently doing at University? I'm guessing medicine due to those diazepam pills on your avatar lol.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actualli section 3 is lik an IQ test.. its also pattern recognition...

i did very well in section 3.. and im very good at Xrays, CTs, MRI readings... and my section 1 wasnt tat good..and congruently.. my ECG reading is less effective :S

yes i am.. but interstate not NSW..

ssglain

HSC
It's not necessary to intensively prepare for the UMAT. I didn't attend any preparation courses and I got more than enough to be invited to all the interviews I applied for. In my opinion, the UMAT tests intuitive skills rather than theoretical knowledge. Of course, these skills can be further enhanced through directed practice and training. It is in this respect that UMAT coaching is effective to an extent. In light of the competitive nature of entry into medicine/health science degrees, it seems that UMAT coaching is no longer something that can give you a distinct advantage over everyone else - it now simply places you on level ground with everyone else.

Last edited:

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
ssglain said:
It's not necessary to intensively prepare for the UMAT. I didn't attend any preparation courses and I got more than enough to be invited to all the interviews I applied for. In my opinion, the UMAT tests intuitive skills rather than theoretical knowledge. Of course, these skills can be further enhanced through directed practice and training. It is in this respect that UMAT coaching is effective to an extend. In light of the competitive nature of entry into medicine/health science degrees, it seems that UMAT coaching is no longer something that can give you a distinct advantage over everyone else - it now simply places you on level ground with everyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)