UN approves compensation to Iraq's neighbours (2 Viewers)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC

BBC said:
"Iraq has called for an end to payouts from its oil revenue, seeking negotiated settlements instead.

Iraq has so far paid $19.2bn, but it is thought it could be decades before all the claims are finally met. "
Whilst America may lack ethics and common-sense, they make up for it in their knowledge of History.

Just as the UN imposed harsh economic sanctions on Germany for both WW1 and WW2 agitations as the dust settled on Nazism, the American-dominated UN has began to impose oppressive war-debts on Iraq for its 1990-1 moves against its neighbours,soon to be followed by a bill from the modern day Big Three...Of course asking payment in Texas tea.

Does anyone else think that, just like 1930's Germans, Iraqis could rise against foreign sanctions and challenge the world order? Or does modern technology and America's key role in transnational economics counter this?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
BRB, moving to Iraq and preparing a charismatic speech I can read in a Baghdad beer house.

HSC
At this moment in time, I don't think Iraq has the societal, political or economic structure to really have too much of an impact on the global arena. At this stage. However, maybe much later on...I mean come on, who expected that China and India would become the most probable superpowers by 2020?! (or maybe even sooner!)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Yeah, but by that time George W. will be long dead.

I have a feeling that his crusade will go down in history as one of brutal greed, rather than the picture of elloquence Bush paints.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Imposing economic demands on a government that thad no role in the adventures of 1990-91, rings very much of German reparation payments. Looks quite silly to me, the established government will be dicredited on the streets and agitators can now label the government as weak and shameful criminals adhering to the demands of the occupiers.

"We never trusted that government in the first place, and now they've gone and stabbed us in the back!".

What are America's strategists doing?

jpr333

HSC
They learnt their lesson after WW2 (because of WW1) they can't be that stupid can they... just rebuild I say like Japan and Germany post ww2.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
jpr333 said:
They learnt their lesson after WW2 (because of WW1) they can't be that stupid can they... just rebuild I say like Japan and Germany post ww2.
I think they already are. For just like America used Japan as an outpost for Westernisation in Asia and Germany as the counterpoint for capitalist advocacy, they're bleeding Iraq of its natural resources: Gold...Tin...and, surprise-surprise, Oil.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Gavrillo said:
I think they already are. For just like America used Japan as an outpost for Westernisation in Asia and Germany as the counterpoint for capitalist advocacy, they're bleeding Iraq of its natural resources: Gold...Tin...and, surprise-surprise, Oil.
That makes me angry. How dare they. The insurgency can't hope to put a stop to it either. And the Iraqi government sits back and allows it to happen. Surely, this will outrage the Iraqi intelligentsia, and they will promptly rouse the masses into a huge anti-US movement which will take to the streets and overthrow the current puppet government.

An Iraq-specific ideology should do it, Collectivised Islam or something similar.

HSC
leetom said:
An Iraq-specific ideology should do it, Collectivised Islam or something similar.
Most definitely! If we look at everything thats ever happened in the social, economic and political arena over the decades, imposing one nations cultured ideology on another usually results in things which are in absolute antithesis to the objective of those movements.
So as long as the puppet-like political structure exists in Iraq, they will never develop their own ideology to drive them forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)