Uni Courses (1 Viewer)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Can anyon tell me what Uni courses REQUIRE 4 unity maths?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
B Sc (Advanced Mathematics) @ Sydney, New South Wales

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
actuarial studies @ unsw or macq

T

Testpilot

It would help in Engineering, but is by no means a requirement.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you choose to study any science related course at university, experience in Extension 2 Maths is definitely a big plus. It may not be compulsory or assumed knowledge, but it will definitely give you some sort of head start over the rest.

vafa

HSC
N/A
Why would any body study advanced mathematics at sydney or NSW?

Obviously, Macquarie has the best Mathematics department.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
vafa said:
Why would any body study advanced mathematics at sydney or NSW?

Obviously, Macquarie has the best Mathematics department.
That's actuarial. If you want to study actual mathematics there are only 3 universities with the resources in Australia: Melbourne, Sydney and ANU. UNSW close behind.

I read that in The Australian's Higher Ed section about universities' declining funding to mathematics department.

Last edited:

vafa

HSC
N/A
Well, I am doing advanced Mathematics at Macquarie university and in my opinion is the best university in mathematics.
why?
1- The Macquarie university has lots people researching about category theory, the director is Professor Street who was Max Kelley's student. look at Australian category seminar homepage
http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/AusCat/

2- Macquarie university mathematics department has lots of people in different areas of mathematics and lots of European mathematicians are there and they all have written many articles to main journals such as arxiv.org

3- Macquarie university is very strong in LaTeX, Ross Moore is the coauthor of xy-pic.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
I'm just conveying what I read in the newspaper. I'm sure Macquarie is delightful for mathematics but hardly "the best" (I'm betting UWS would be the best too, if you went there). It's not even in the Group of 8 which gets the majority of research funds.

Apparently Macquarie has also been cutting maths staff too. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,22052506-12332,00.html

Last edited:

vafa

HSC
N/A
obviously you can compare uws with sydney or anu or whatever but not with macquarie because macquarie is the king of mathematics.

G

gaoOO

jemsta said:
actuarial studies @ unsw or macq
i think it's recommended, not assumed knowledge or a pre requisite.

on another note, why would anyone study B Sc (Advanced Mathematics) [whether it be at Sydney, NSW, Macquarie etc.]? :p

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
People study BSc(Advanced Mathematics) often to become mathematicians or statisticians.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
because they like maths would be my guess

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
vafa said:
Well, I am doing advanced Mathematics at Macquarie university and in my opinion is the best university in mathematics.
why?
1- The Macquarie university has lots people researching about category theory, the director is Professor Street who was Max Kelley's student. look at Australian category seminar homepage
http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/AusCat/
Great, but having an active research group in category theory hardly qualifies the university as the best in mathematics.

On a related note, have you seen the set of category theory lectures that were put on youtube here recently? The lecturer, Eugenia Cheng, has on her home page a really good introduction to the field too (here).

vafa said:
2- Macquarie university mathematics department has lots of people in different areas of mathematics and lots of European mathematicians are there and they all have written many articles to main journals such as arxiv.org
I'm sure this is the same for most universities that have a reasonably sized group of mathematicians. For instance, although Newcastle just lost a bunch of active researchers, there are still plenty around - with replacements to come apparently. Also, arxive.org is not a journal. It's exactly what its play on the greek alphabet suggests - an archive of preprints ;)

vafa said:
3- Macquarie university is very strong in LaTeX, Ross Moore is the coauthor of xy-pic.
I salute Ross Moore - I've used xy-pic quite a bit and I think it's great! But again, this hardly qualifies the university he is at to make the claim that they're the best.

You're a first year right? So you're not really in a position to make comparisons or relate experiences. At best, you can compare other peoples opinions and experiences. So unless you've got some published references, maybe you should stop worrying about how good your university is, and how bad the others are?

vafa

HSC
N/A
Mathematics is not hard at all. Mathematics is like you are playing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)