• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Uni prestige and employment! (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
Hey guys.

I was wondering whether employers(when hiring) look at where the university degree was attained from- e.g. is a law graduate from sydney uni going to look more desirable than a graduate from canberra uni? Does anyone know if the big law firms in sydney do this?

I can either get my degree from newcastle uni or the university of canberra. Is one more favourable than the other?

Thanks

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
This topic has been done to death. List of facts:

* Some employers do look at what uni you got your degree from
* Some do not
* In all cases, a D average from a 'non prestigious' uni will beat a P average from USYD. Lesson: grades are more important than any notion of prestige.
* It is a fact that some unis are more prestigious than others. People who ignore this are stupid and possibly insecure.
* Concordantly, people who constantly tout that they are from a 'prestigious uni' are probably pulling Ps
* Of the two unis you listed, you should be focusing on the faculty strengths rather than prestige. Prestige only really comes into play when comparing unis such as UWS and UOW to, say, USYD and UNSW.
* The most prestigious university for law in NSW is USYD. This is followed by UNSW. The rankings of any other unis are, at best, contentious, so don't go there.

* This is really the only answer you need to bother reading, as it has been compiled from reading over several multi-page threads on the topic.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
hannahxxx said:
Hey guys.

I was wondering whether employers(when hiring) look at where the university degree was attained from- e.g. is a law graduate from sydney uni going to look more desirable than a graduate from canberra uni? Does anyone know if the big law firms in sydney do this?

I can either get my degree from newcastle uni or the university of canberra. Is one more favourable than the other?

Thanks
My comment on this in the past:
It does make a difference where you get your law degree, all else being equal. To deny this would be wishful thinking. Some institutions have a better rep and will give you a better chance on the academic level of being appealing to employers. There is no question about this.

However, it is a matter of "to what extent". Experience, good grades, personal skills, character and participation in other activities are also extremely important factors which combined outweigh the importance of the degree. So degree is not everything by all means, but it does make a difference. Think of your academic degree as a weapon in your arsenal. Some might be more finely balanced or sharper than others, giving an edge in the fight. But it doesn't determine the battle by itself.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
We should really produce a joint judgment on this so that people don't get too confused :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)