uni scenario (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
okay so i want to do B eng(comp)/ B comm at syd uni. UAI cut-off was 95.50 in '03.

now, if i dont get a UAI as high, what are my options? i really want to do that double degree.

will i have the option of trying for B eng(comp), UAI cut-off was 90.50 or Bcomm, UAI cut-off was 94.10 and then picking up the other one in my second year.
if so, on what criteria will i be able to select the other degree? just my academic results in the degree that i am doing? doesnt the vacancies in the class that i want to pick up have any bearing?

hehe a few questions there....thanks!:D

essentially, i want to know how i can get to the Beng(comp)/Bcommerce if i dont get the UAI for it?

also any information regarding these two, please let me know, ie- not a good combination because/good combination because...etc.

SoFTuaRiaL

if u dont get the required uai, u should do BE comp alone, which needs 90.50, then try to get a 70+ aggregate in first yr. u actually need a 65, but it also depends on ur uai. they take 50% uni results and 50% hsc.

Generator

HSC
N/A
You can't just pick it up, you will have to apply for a transfer via uac.

Rahul

Dead Member
i dont want to transfer tho...i want to do both. or is it the same thing?

i have seen that other unis offer these two courses on their own, but i havent seen any sign of them as double degrees....will i be able to do them two still?

Rahul

Dead Member
please....can i have some more input.

my basic worry is that if i dont get into the double degree in my first year, what factors, apart from my marks/aggregate, are taken into account for me to pick up the second degree in my second year?

SoFTuaRiaL

u dont need to transfer thru uac
for transfering from a single to double degree, all u need to do is the have the required mark and go spk to the faculty/school and the transfer should be able to take place immediately (atleast thats the case with unsw)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Whether or not you have to transfer externally (i.e. through the UAC) is determined on a stand-alone basis by each Faculty. Law at USYD and UNSW, for example, requires an external transfer.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
yep.. there are back-door ways of getting into a lot of courses, and faculties are pretty frank about it.
also, if u don't get the required uai but your'e pretty close then you can ask ur year adviser or your principal to call up or write a personal statement direct to the uni - sometimes the unis give in if ur principal says good thigns bout u. i'ts been done before and students have gotten in..

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
sometimes the unis give in if ur principal says good thigns bout u. i'ts been done before and students have gotten in..
Ok thats gonna be a problem with Rahul cos he (like me) almost never participates in school functions (eg swimming carnival etc) Would the principal evaluate the student on behalf of his participation of these school events, or mainly his academic performance within the school?

FLR-IT

u prolly gotta be an active school participant, although i reckon any principal would be willing to help as long as ur not a bad ass bludger, if ur lookin for courses above 90, i would assume that ur a pretty good student, which would make it easy

in the end its worth a try anyway

ErgoSum

HSC
Hey Man
In USYD, all telco , software, comp and electrical engineering have the same first year.. But im pretty sure electrical engineering has a much lower UAI (i havent checked.) Maybe if combined elec/comm has a lower uai go for that and then at the end of first year if you get probably distinction average would be very easy to transfer courses and ALL your first year subjects would count.
Im sorta half thinking about transferring from software to computer engineering..

Generator

HSC
N/A
In the engineering faculty at USyd you can easily get an internal transfer between engineering streams (in second year, anyway). But as you are seeking to move to a double combination, in all likelihood you will have to go through uac.

Edit: This is all hypothetical... Who is to say that you won't get the UAI required for the combination?

SoFTuaRiaL

the uac guide has the same code for engg/comm no matter what the major in engg is ... so even if ure lookn at elec/comm, u'd be needing 95.50

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)