• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Uni/Transfer help (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Im currently in Year 12 and doing my preferences like a good little boy.
I need about 98.8 to do B Laws/ B Communications (Journalism) at UTS but ill prolly only get about 97. This really sucks because this is the perfect course for me IMO. How would i go about tranferring into this course if i dont get the UAI necessary? No other uni's seem to offer it, and i know UTS is the best for journalism so id love to go there. The whole uni thing is a little daunting, help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
I need about 98.8 to do B Laws/ B Communications (Journalism) at UTS but ill prolly only get about 97. This really sucks because this is the perfect course for me IMO. How would i go about tranferring into this course if i dont get the UAI necessary?
ok, first piece of advice is dun think about failing to reach the cutoff. just try your best, your final UAI might surprise you.

second piece of advice, if you get the high 97s, you might wanna do straight B Laws at UTS for the first year then transfer into B Laws B Coms (Journalism) in your second. then in your second year i suppose you'll be doing all journalism subjects (to catchup).

a non-recent school leaver transfer application is done thru UAC i think... although because this is an intra-uni transfer it might be done otherwise... you'll have to check with the law information office:

Tel: 61 2 9514 3444

Fax: 61 2 9514 3400

Email: info@law.uts.edu.au

Web: www.law.uts.edu.au

Post: UTS Faculty of Law, PO Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007 Australia

Address: UTS:Law Information Office, Building 5, Section B, Level 3, 1- 51 Quay Street, Haymarket. (only a few minutes walk from Central Railway station)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Frigid said:

ok, first piece of advice is dun think about failing to reach the cutoff. just try your best, your final UAI might surprise you.

second piece of advice, if you get the high 97s, you might wanna do straight B Laws at UTS for the first year then transfer into B Laws B Coms (Journalism) in your second. then in your second year i suppose you'll be doing all journalism subjects (to catchup).

Yeah i will definately try my hardest but i think im aware of my capabilities and getting over 98 isnt really likely.

Just wondering with your second point how plausible is it to tranfer after first year. Like will i need an ultra-high GPA or something to take on communications (journalism) in the second year. Because if it was very unlikely that this would be possible, id much rather just go to macquarie so i would be sure of getting into a dual degree of B Laws B something else.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
Like will i need an ultra-high GPA or something to take on communications (journalism) in the second year. Because if it was very unlikely that this would be possible, id much rather just go to macquarie so i would be sure of getting into a dual degree of B Laws B something else.
i'm not sure... you'll probably need that cliched 'high credit average' to transfer, but you should ring the law info office to find out. otherwise, yeah, maccas is always an option.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Donshe said:
Don't mean to hijack, but its a related quick question that is not worth another thread.

As in this case, transferring from one UTS course to another, is transferring from one Uni to another just as possible?
yes,
apply via UAC to transfer

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
So should i put as my first preference B Laws at UTS or B Laws/ B Arts at MacQ?
Are dbl degrees worth it?

impulse_17

HSC
lol, im in the same situation, i reckon law/journalism @uts sounds really cool
i asked one of the people on open day how to get in if i didnt get the uai and he said that if you really want to do the combined thing, external transfer is better than internal transfer
i.e. do a similar combined degree elsewhere (e.g. media/law@macquarie, journalism/law@ uws) and try and transfer into uts from that, rather than doing a single degree of either law or journalism at uts and transferring into the combined degree.

also, at open day, they kept stressing the point that internal transfer within uts is extremely difficult, and not to do a course that you're not sure about in the hope of transferring into something else, because you probably won't be able to. what they did say that could help you is if you do volunteer work in the area that you want to transfer into... cos i dont think uts transfers go solely on marks.

id check all this out though- im only an hsc student myself and im only repeating stuff ive heard... i mite have misunderstood... hope it helps anyway.

frazzle

HSC
absolution* said:
I need about 98.8 to do B Laws/ B Communications (Journalism) at UTS but ill prolly only get about 97. This really sucks because this is the perfect course for me IMO. How would i go about tranferring into this course if i dont get the UAI necessary? No other uni's seem to offer it, and i know UTS is the best for journalism so id love to go there.
wow, that sounds too much like my situation, except the course i want is B Design (Visual Communications)/B Arts (International Studies). I'm thinking of transferring into it second year if i don't get into it straight away.

impulse_17 said:
i asked one of the people on open day how to get in if i didnt get the uai and he said that if you really want to do the combined thing, external transfer is better than internal transfer
i.e. do a similar combined degree elsewhere (e.g. media/law@macquarie, journalism/law@ uws) and try and transfer into uts from that, rather than doing a single degree of either law or journalism at uts and transferring into the combined degree.

also, at open day, they kept stressing the point that internal transfer within uts is extremely difficult, and not to do a course that you're not sure about in the hope of transferring into something else, because you probably won't be able to. what they did say that could help you is if you do volunteer work in the area that you want to transfer into... cos i dont think uts transfers go solely on marks.
would someone please confirm that? that doesn't sound too good for what i'm going to do! =S but still, i'd rather do the single Vis Comm degree than anything else elsewhere, even if i can't do the international studies bit of it. any other suggestions?

absolution* said:
So should i put as my first preference B Laws at UTS or B Laws/ B Arts at MacQ?
Are dbl degrees worth it?
you should put down B Laws/ B Communications (Journalism) at UTS, even if the UAI seems just out of reach, it's what I'm doing. how annoyed (understatement) would you be if you somehow managed to get the UAI but didn't have it on your preferences!

shannonm

HSC
N/A
frazzle said:
you should put down B Laws/ B Communications (Journalism) at UTS, even if the UAI seems just out of reach, it's what I'm doing. how annoyed (understatement) would you be if you somehow managed to get the UAI but didn't have it on your preferences!
you can change your prefs after you recieve your uai

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Frazzle, it's really quite easy to transfer in to international studies after first year, so do viscomm if you don't get the UAI and you should be able to transfer in to the double.

As for journo/law, it's going to be hard to transfer from anywhere. Internal transfers are difficult. The best way to get an internal transfer from UTS law to journo/law would be to build up a substantial portfolio of published writing and work experience in journalism. Also doing it at another uni such as macq and trying to get a transfer might be a good idea too. I would speak to both the law and humanities faculty and see what advice they give you.

frazzle

HSC
thanks braindeadAsh, that's what I'm planning on doing. I hope it is easy!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Oh, also for the original poster, another option is doing UTS Journalism, and then doing graduate law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)