Uniting Church, White Australia Policy and Government (1 Viewer)

A J C

I was wondering if any body has some info or knows anything about:
> How the commencement of the uniting church in 1977 came about
> Impact of religion of government during 50's and 60's, and
> Australia's pluralist view upon other religions during the White Australia policy

Fi

Do u have the "living religion" textbook, it has everything in it., But anyway, i'll look through my notes and post them up.

Fi

1. Presbyterians reluctant to form union with Methodist and Congregational church in 1907. However, on 22 June 1977 they united. Today 1.4million Australians are members of the Uniting Church, making it the 3rd largest religious denomination.

2. The Catholic Social studies movement sought to influence the ALP. 1955 Catholics split to form the democratic labour party => without Catholic support the ALP did not gain federal govt until 1972.

Vietnam war- Church leaders were often out-spoken in their opposition. However, one may question the level of influence they had on Whitlams decision to withdraw our troops; possibly a sign that religion is becoming less influential.

3. The white Australia policy sought to maintain Anglo-Celtic domination. Therefore the idea of a multi-faith, multicultural nation was rejected by both govt. and people alike--> xenophobia.

Just double-check this info with ur teacher or ur textbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)