• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Units (1 Viewer)

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
Is it a radical move to drop to 10 units. I just can't handle 3 sciences anymore... and i don't want to do one of them. I want to be able to concentrate on my other subjects....

can i get some thoughts

fakingtheday

HSC
Yep go for it. 10 units isn't as drastic a move as many seem to misconceive. If you are confident and capable, as your half yearly results sugest, you should have no problems. I'm only doing 10 units.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Pretty much everyone I know did 10 units. And most of the people I know who did 12 units were doing well in 10 units and failing or doing very badly in the other 2 units. Most people have 12 units as a backup, but if you are failing your last 2 units then having it as a backup is really useless.

HSC
i wish i could drop another subject but im not sure! its not worth it, not long left till the HSC, so i have learnt most the course, might as well keep it (i was planning to drop BS)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i was anxious about dropping to 10u as well but if you cant handle it, there is no point continuing with it. The stress is not worth it and may even be detrimental overall. The rule is if you are going to do 10u, be confident in all 10u and work hard. Dont let the hours u save from dropping a unit go to waste...

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
looking at your half yearly results... i don't think it really matters if you drop or not.. from the info i'm given you are contradicting yourself... with you marks you can get 99 uai...

A l

HSC
N/A
An interesting statistical trend I would like to point out, is that the majority of students who do more than ten units for their Higher School Certificate study pattern often tend to have a higher University Admissions Index than those who do less units of study. This statistic has got nothing to do with scaling and even the University Admissions Centre and possibly the Board of Studies cannot explain the raw reason behind this trend.
Examine the following table from 2004:
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2004-Table-A7.pdf

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Yeah im thinking of dropping down to 10units, im not doing well in Anciuent as i am in all my other subjects. My housemaster is being a dickhead about it, saying that its not good not having that safety but "u are a good student so it doesnt matter" and then he was like "u think u can get a band 6 for french? U know we havent had many band 6s in french at the school" and i was like "i dont care, i will prob get a band 6 cause i find it easy im good at it"

Anyway i think 10 units will be awesome, more time to study on 4 subjects and when it pays off u will laugh at others cause they did an extra subject and studied for it, and it didnt even count!

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
A l said:
An interesting statistical trend I would like to point out, is that the majority of students who do more than ten units for their Higher School Certificate study pattern often tend to have a higher University Admissions Index than those who do less units of study. This statistic has got nothing to do with scaling and even the University Admissions Centre and possibly the Board of Studies cannot explain the raw reason behind this trend.
I think that is because a lot more of the "smarter" students are good at a variety of subjects as they have found over the years, and are naturally capable at a lot of subjects (or like a lot of them) and do not want to drop to 10. (the people at my school, well most of them who do 10units are not high achievers so that gives an indication). Notice the people in ur school doing 10units and rate them academically... good? Didnt think so

goody

HSC
yeah I'm doing 10 units now. I was going to drop General Maths but I was stressed out in Hospitality and I couldn't keep up since we had to cook 2 recipes, present it, eat it and clean up in 80 minutes, just couldn't handle it so I dropped Hospitality instead of Maths.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
I dropped modern history at the end of year 11. it was the plan from the very beginning. i sucked at it so much. I am now handling 5 subjects quite well.

NightShadow

HSC
yeh i agree with laCe... people who do 14 units are smart and do it probably because they dont want to stuff up a subject and get a low UAI...so they use it as backup...incase somethign goes wrong...

and besides people who do more units get higher uai because if they did screw something up..it doesn't drag their uai down..it just gets discounted^^^

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
But I think the ones who are very smart and confident in themselves do 10units, doing 4/5 subjects (these can include extensions) and they just focus on these subjects as other 'smart/intelligent' people do 12-14 units and work prob as hard as those already mentioned but 2-4 units do not actually count.

I am considering dropping ancient history because my rank is not very good at all (13/24). And in my other subjects I am doing pretty well (aiming for band 6s which is very likely looking at my rankings, so I am confident in my ability in 10units) But my teachers do not want me to drop down to 10. And I do not understand why not? If I stuff up one subject in the HSC and ancient history (if i keep 12) ends up counting, it scales really poorly and the UAI contribution score is really crap too. And this would not help me.

A lot of ppl are telling me that it is fine to do ten, some also say its living on the edge (but those are the deadshits). I am still not 100% sure of what to do.

FOr Currysauce, u are doing amazingly well and i think u must be putting a fair bit of effort in. However some of this effort may be wasted because u are doing 12 units and 2 units will not count. Having said this though, U are on target for 99+ definitely but i think u need to like the subjects u r doing, if u like them all keep them, if u dont, drop 1

(and why do u do SOR?)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
A l said:
21 people got 100!!!...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
physician said:
21 people got 100!!!...
As the UAI is a rank not a number, wouldn't 21 people *always* recieve 100.00 each year?

physician

HSC
kami said:
As the UAI is a rank not a number, wouldn't 21 people *always* recieve 100.00 each year?
hmm interesting... maybe that's why i thought the statistics were from 2002 (until i scrolled down)... i recall in that year 21-22 recieved a UAI of 100.. it could've been 21...

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
I stayed with 13 units and i hate myslef for it =p
I figured, i may as well because i have a better chance at getting a better uai. But im so over it that i dont think it matters anymore. If i was to drop anything it would be maths, but i wish to keep that, and im doing better in 3unit that 2unit ...so yes

physician

HSC
lourai*87 said:
I stayed with 13 units and i hate myslef for it =p
I figured, i may as well because i have a better chance at getting a better uai. But im so over it that i dont think it matters anymore. If i was to drop anything it would be maths, but i wish to keep that, and im doing better in 3unit that 2unit ...so yes
can't u still drop...

anyways.... I have 11... did 2 last year so all together i have 13...
i just realised a few weeks ago just how bad i really was at some of my subjects...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)