university grades (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
in uni u compete with a much larger canditure...in some subjects, sometimes 1000 (like in my 1st yr accounting)

For someone with a UAI of 95, I managed to get 3 HD's and 1 Pass in my first semester..but that was with lots of effort..like a mini HSC in 1 semester (March till June)

mp3mojo - dunno? different subjects might scale differently?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
umm....
it really depends on the subject and how it's marked.. as well as how much you like it (believe me, if you don't like a subject it's REALLY hard to do well in it.. just because you never want to look at it and all you want to do is get a P :) )

It varies with the faculty too.. some say that certain faculties mark easier than others..

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I'm not sure how UNI scaling works, but the bellcurve wouldn't dictate that 5% of people will fail the subject.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Well, in theory the bottom 5% probably will fail, usually. ;) But you wouldn't fail based solely on the fact you are in the bottom 5%.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, Uni. grade depend on the units you do. In certain units, for example: at MQ, we have a Statistic subject - STAT171 designed for ext2 Mathematics students and about 25% fail and less than 10% achieve HDs. (And note, that many of these people do study - alot.) On the otherhand, we have subjects like COMP115, where heaps of people achieve Ds and HDs. (And this subject doesn't require much work, comparatively speaking.)

Also, the results, generally speaking, aren't scaled (up) as much as HSC marks.

Although they aren't meant to, they do (indirectly) look at ranks and fit people into categories - whether as Fail, Pass...

And for certain subjects such as mine, my Finals (Exams) were worth 70% plus. So, for me, it all came down to one exam for each subject.

pri

HSC
N/A
shiet, that sounds like the HSC all over again!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Here is (roughly) what one of my uni lectures said:

Aim to pass. A credit is good. A distinction is very, very good. A high distinction means you have no life ...

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
well in bio, chem and phys there is no scaling you get the mark you get ie
85 HD
75 DN
65 CR
50 PS
<50 FL

and they told us in bio that the final exam is an average fail so everyone is urged to get as many marks as possible in teh practical component (50:50)

uni is pretty tough and every semester is very close to a mini HSC.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
If the lecturer is nice they'll look at the boundaries and sometimes shift up/down the high distinction/distinction/credit/pass/PC cutoffs..

Generator

HSC
N/A
To do that they would need a solid case as the lecturers are restricted by the examination centre in terms of how the grades are distributed... At Sydney, anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)