• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

university library (2 Viewers)

hatty

Banned
can some non-uni student (me), enter some uni library and do my work and study there?

im planning to go to the usyd library next week (because fisher library i think is pretty good and its close to my house).

im not planning on borrowing any books.

hatty

Banned
oh and btw

although im a few stations away from redfern
is walking from redfern station to the university safe?
as in is there always something happening to students or other people walking to there?
ive only been once and that was right after the redfern riots, so as expected, there was alot of coppers

and seeing that fisher library itself is a fair distance from redfern, is there an alternate train station i can catch that can get me there faster?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
HELL YES! there is no better way of studying than to study in a uni library. I go to Usyd and MQ at every opportunity! :D

You can't borrow of course, unless you have an older brother or sister's card ;)

Many people will say that wlaking from Redfern to USYD is safe, and generally I would agree but personally, I get off one stop earlier at Newtown and walk an extra 5 minutes.

Fisher Library is NOT a fair distance from Redfern...in fact, it's only a 3-5 minute walk...not long at all. You enter the uni from the Commerce-Eco Campus (cant remember what it's called...darling something? Darlington? Darlinghurst? Whatever), then cross the grounds to get to Camperdown, and BINGO! Fisher in front of your face! :)

Edit: You always see HSC students (esp some with 4u maths textbooks ;) ) at uni libraries studying

Edit 2: Im not sure if the current inquest and investigation into the death of TJ Hickey will affect the environment in Redfern..probably not.

Last edited:

MoNNiE

HSC
yes they can
@ the uts library although we have those electronic gate were you swipe your student card non univeristy students can enter by getting a day pass from the front desk free of charge, but youneed to leave behind some identification eg licence.

if u want to get to fisher library @USYD without goingto redfern get off at central station and then either walk or catch a bus [ i forgotthe route numbers..] omeone who attends that uni should know
hope that helps!

BTW all university libraries are open to the general public

hatty

Banned
thanks sarah

for me the library is so damn far from entrance of the uni, when i went there, from the entrace it took approximately 15 minutes for me to walk there.

but then again, i was lost and looking all over the place and may have taken a longer road.

btw

newton, could u give me some rough directions as to how to get to the uni from newton station please.

thanks

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Or if you have uni mates. Then they'll let you steal their cards :p

The only Uni library that needs a card to enter is UTS, the rest you can just enter and plonk your arse down and study.

MoNNiE

HSC
Ziff said:
Or if you have uni mates. Then they'll let you steal their cards :p

The only Uni library that needs a card to enter is UTS, the rest you can just enter and plonk your arse down and study.
haha yeah i know..
it sucks..!

hatty

Banned
MoNNiE said:
yes they can
@ the uts library although we have those electronic gate were you swipe your student card non univeristy students can enter by getting a day pass from the front desk free of charge, but youneed to leave behind some identification eg licence.

if u want to get to fisher library @USYD without goingto redfern get off at central station and then either walk or catch a bus [ i forgotthe route numbers..] omeone who attends that uni should know
hope that helps!

BTW all university libraries are open to the general public
thanks

can you please give me rough directions from central station to usyd please?

oh, and does this actually mean that walking from redfern to Usyd is unsafe?
lol

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
From Newtown..hmmm

Well, get off the train :p...then walk out the main entrance, turn right (a looong road of shops and cafes stretching very far), and just keep walking. Follow the crowd (and ppl with backpacks ;) ) and you'll soon reach St James...once you walk for about 5-8 minutes (its faster than it seems...trust me), you'll see the green hedge and you're there. The main gate is easy to find, and the library is not far....check the map at the front entrance if you're unsure.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
It's easier (and cheaper) to go the extra stop to Newtown and walk rather than catch the bus form Central.

MoNNiE

HSC
hatty said:
thanks

can you please give me rough directions from central station to usyd please?

oh, and does this actually mean that walking from redfern to Usyd is unsafe?
lol
okay from exiting central exit at eddy street don't go down to eddy street, instead go into the main street.. on your left on exiting there is an exculator going up this leads to the old train station entry..but now is the suburban train thingy..
when ur up on top.. just go straight ahead all the way to the end..{follow the main stream crowd it helps}

[btw this is the directions to bus terminal...

if u want to walk... just contiue along broadway.. past UTS and futher until you get to a major intersection between broadway and city rd. turn left and follow city rd all the way up unti you get to sydney uni! and woala.. i think u can find urself from there...

onthe other hand if u want to catch a bus align at the bus stop where the buses are heading towards uts... usually look for the newton buses it drops you off approximately where u want!

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
It's perfectly safe walking from redfern to usyd, just make sure there's enough daylight ;)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Here's an easier path from Central to USyd:

Go from Central Station to Railway Square, doesn't matter how you do it. Walk WEST along George Street/Broadway, so that you're moving towards the Ugliest Tower in Sydney (UTS).
Keep walking, go past everything you may see like UTS, Carlton Breweries, Broadway etc until you see Victoria Park. By the time you hit Victoria Park ten minutes should have gone by and Fisher Library will be plainly visible as this horrible blocky building. Walk down the main path through Victoria Park to the big sandstone steps, up those, up the road and Fisher is on your left. :)

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I use to study at Monash uni (Clayton) Vic uni, I know - but at the time was in about yr 7-8, my Mum worked there. However, she borrowed the books for me, teehee now I askher to borrow books from Monash Medical Centre library,

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well they put the gates in at UTS library to stop homeless people sleeping in the library, amongst other reasons.

Winston

HSC
jasee said:
Well they put the gates in at UTS library to stop homeless people sleeping in the library, amongst other reasons.
Hey fisher should do that too... at least by then i can freely leave my laptop for 2 minutes to go pee damnit.. argghh

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Winston said:
Hey fisher should do that too... at least by then i can freely leave my laptop for 2 minutes to go pee damnit.. argghh
lolz winston, where do u usually leave ur laptop??? >=)

any way, walking from central to usyd is not far... as lexi said... walk along broad way and you will get there... u can catch a bus if you want, but not entirely necessary...

if you work til late at fisher, u might want to catch a security bus to redfern station... aprt from the driver does not allow any one to stand on the bus... so if you have nowhere to sit, you gotta sit on the ground... >< pretty clumpsy, but meh, get me to the station =D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Winston said:
NO! Not even for two minutes, uni students have less money than your common crook (and quite often they ARE your common crook). Nah, go spend $60 and get one of those Kingston (or other brand) security cables. Then find something that can't be moved and chain your laptop to it. At least, that's what I do, and it's worked fine so far. Make sure your laptop software is secure too, since if people can't steal something they'll gladly f--k it up.

Being Winston, I don't think I needed to mention that though eh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)