• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

University + Tafe (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I was thinking about doing a TAFE course (either cooking or photography) next year as well as going to uni.

Does anyone on a 17 hour+ week think its possible to hold down both TAFE and uni?

Cheers!:)

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
how many hours total would it be? im considering doing a cert 2 in community pharmacy as well my B Pharm, that only amounts to a working week

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i dont see why it isnt possible, esp. if you view your tafe course as something to do for leisure, rather than something that will increase your long term employment prospects dramatically.
i think you should be fine, just so long as you prioritise well and keep your degree as #1

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
i only got 4 hour of uni a week and das full time..

i dont goto lectures... so i only goto my 4 tutes which go for 1 hour each
so basically i go uni for 1 hour a day and have the whole day to do wateva..
so i got plenty of time to goto tafe if i wanted to..
hehehe

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Be careful to factor in the time spent doing assignments and study for TAFE, as their assessment methods are far more practical (and ongoing) throughout the semester. Don't expect a light workload with a big exam at the end. :)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
theoretically it is possible, but if it amounts to "a working week" - ie - 40 hours, dont forget you are expected to do the equivalent of that in at home study. I do a 28 hour week at uni, and with 15 hours a week travel, plus 10 hours of casual work, theres no possible way i could fit in a tafe course too, coz of the amount of work to do for assignments and stuff, especially around exam time, it would be way too much.
maybe if your course was, say 15 hours or so a week, and depending on whether u have to work on weekends and stuff you could probably cope with it

santaslayer

HSC
I would think that you need to consider the type of degree you are doing alongside your TAFE course. If you have relatively low contact hours then a TAFE course is still manageable.

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
Its possible.. I mean whats actually involved in a cooking or a photography course? - I doubt that the "work load" would be very high (though it depends) .. it might be interesting to do something on the side.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I should mention that I know of people who have done it, and they say that it's actually pretty good because things wind up at TAFE around the time that uni is getting hectic (about halfway through second half of semester) so when it comes time to knuckle down for exams they're already finished their TAFE stuff for the semester.

I'd still be careful about overcommitting though, since usually you need that "easy" time earlier in the semester to keep yourself from burning out in the later part. I don't think I could stand to be constantly working that hard from start to end of semester, even if half of it were "leisure learning".

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Thanks for the help guys :)

And yeah, I'll be doing a full 17 hour+ week, so that's why i was a bit iffy in the first place.

Though, cooking seems like something I have to do, and something i'm interested in...I want to move in with my girlfriend after school, and since neither of us can cook, I think I'll be able to score browning points if I can :p

Oh and cooking is pretty fun so meh, I'll probably give it a try:) If it gets hectic I can always ditch the TAFE course anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)