University Tutor offering tuition in Biology - for all levels (1 Viewer)

USydBioTutor

HSC
Need help in Biology? I can assist you in understanding why things are, the way they are. Students of all levels and ages welcome!

I can also help you with planning your university degree, for instance how to do double or triple majors; which degrees/majors to choose if you would like to do postgrad medicine; how summer school can help.

My academic qualifications:

- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) majoring in Microbiology and Cell Pathology (2005) (University of Sydney)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Infection and Immunity) (2007) (University of Sydney)

My academic teaching experience at the University of Sydney:

- Laboratory supervisor and demonstrator for first year biology units, including molecular genetics
- Lecturer for University of Sydney Summer School (Human Biology, Concepts in Biology)
- University tutor for indigenous university students
- Problem-Based Learning (PBL) tutor for Sydney Medical School
- Interviewer for Sydney Medical School
- Marking essays, assignments, and examinations; setting examination questions

Why I teach:

- I love biology =). There is much more to biology than a mass of random facts. I will always try to paint the Big Picture to you, so that you'll know why you're studying what you're studying
- Your light-bulb moments = my satisfaction!
- Every semester I teach more than a hundred students = I can cater to students of varying academic backgrounds

How I teach:

- I treat all my students as adults; my tutorials are more like conversations than didactic lessons
- I adjust my teaching style to your learning strengths; I do not believe in a 'one size fits all' kind of teaching
- Whenever possible I incorporate videos into the lesson; makes biology come alive!

Evaluations from my university students, Semester 1 2009:

"Hong was fantastic and could help us answer any question we had."

"I was very much pleased by Hong's efforts during the pracs. He encouraged one to think for one's self through providing leading thoughts or questions to answers and was very informative."

"My lab tutor, Hong, was awesome!"

"Hong was a great demonstrator, very encouraging, gave good background, and further explanatory, information. Occasionally it was difficult to get his help, but only becuase the lab classes are quite large and he had to help others. I think my understanding and enjoyment of the subject are largely due to his explanations and end of lab disscusions."

"Hong was an abolutely [sic] wonderful lab tutor. He took great lengths to explain anything we were unsure about to our satisfaction, and is probably the reason I understood most of the course so thoroughly. He would not only explain the material, but also how the material fit in with the rest of our course. I particularly thought the group discussions at the end of labs were well thought out and well conducted. You really couldn't ask for a better lab tutor."

References from University of Sydney lecturers available on request.

A little bit about myself:

I...

... have an IELTS score of 8 (out of 9), but I do not teach English, sorry!
... am a published short fiction writer
... play the piano and have a Grade 8 ABRSM rating, but I do not give piano lessons, sorry!
... believe that schooling should not interfere with your education

Availability:

- During the semester I can take on a limited number of students (busy teaching and marking schedule!); it would be advantageous if you are available in the evenings and/or weekends.
- I can come to your home, or meet in a suitable location; in both instances access to public transport is essential; I choose not to add to the traffic congestion in the city!

Rate:
- $50/hr + public transport fee (unless meeting around University of Sydney)

- Please contact me (Hong) via reply or PM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)