• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Unsw Here I Come! (1 Viewer)

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
hi guys! its been a while since i posted.
1stly, congrats to all 2005 HSC studnets for the completion of 1 year of hell! lol finally its over!
anyway, i have a few questions with regards to science at UNSW.
i recieved a 2005 UAI of 87.xx
i believe this is enough to get me into any of the following courses
1. Med Sci
2. b Sci
3. B Sci/arts

those were the 3 courses i was looking at pretty much all year.
my ultimate goal is to try to get into medicine, but afte reading around this forum, it seems to be a very difficult task to complete. thus when picking one of these degrees im also looking for a future in it aswell.

id like u guys to put urself in my shoes ( size 10.5) and answer the following qtns if u were me. reasons for your answers would b nice too!

1. which of the 3 courses would u do?
2. for current students, in sci or med sci, do u guys see a big difference in between the subjects ur currently doing?
3. would doing any of the 3 disadvantage u when doing medicine? or the process in getting into medicine?
4. are D avg hard to gain?

Thanks guys.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
1. MedSc, Sc , Arts/Sc... cos of what i liked... that was my pref in 03 but had AdvSc higher..
2. .. i cant comment.. im not a UNSW.. but they have solid works and hopefully teaching too :)
3. ummm is arts/sc longer? cos tats the only disadvantage i could think of.. it will take longer.. but u may have more options because of its variety
4. yes and no... depends on the subjects.. as u progress on it can get more difficult.. its a 75-85 in most of ure subjects.. i felt it was ok.. and if u do the work ull be fine..

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
1. I do Sci/Arts, basically most science courses are the same, they just look fancier on paper. With Sci/Arts you get pathways from both degrees.

2. I have many friends doing Med Sci, and there isn't that much of a difference between Sci or Med Sci, we do the same subjects, Med Sci just do some special subjects, but all in all we end up with the same degree basically.

3. To get into graduate Medicine, you need to do an entrance test called the GAMSAT. There are lots of thread on it around, have a look. But to do the GAMSAT you need some science background knowledge, 40% chem, 40% bio, 20% physics. None of the degrees you mentioned would disadvantage you, as long as you had enough background knowledge to do the GAMSAT.

4. Uni marks are all about how much effort you put in. It is possible to realistically get a D average but you'd have to study hard and consistently.

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
Hey, thanks for the reply, i did some research and it seems like sci and med sci r similar, besides Med sci core subjects.
i think ill stick with Sci/arts, at the time being, which will give me career paths to more than 1 area, incase i dont get into medicine.
i am also not sure how long post grad med is in UNSW..wats the duration of the couirse? ( the link to post grad med at UNSW.edu.au seems to be down.)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
UNSW does not have post grad medicine. It is available at USyd.

UNSW only has undergraduate medicine.

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
babydoll_ said:
UNSW does not have post grad medicine. It is available at USyd.

UNSW only has undergraduate medicine.
really? so say after i did a B Med sci for 3 years and get into medicine
i have to do another 6 years there?!
in total making it 9years?
on unsw' website it says medicine ( undergraduate)
medicine ( post graduate)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Densuki said:
1. which of the 3 courses would u do?
Since you want to get into med, do B Sc because it gives you flexibility
Advantage: Only 3 years, flexibility

B Sc/B Art
Advantages: Widen career paths in case you don't get into Med
Disadvantage: 4 years. So you won't be able to get into Med faster and would have to pay more HECS for something you probably won't need if you get into Med.

Do B MedSc only if you are interested in Medical research as a career option.

Densuki said:
2. for current students, in sci or med sci, do u guys see a big difference in between the subjects ur currently doing?
Not really, only few courses "Perspective in Medical Sciences 1 and 2" are restricted to students doing Medical Science. You can follow the medical science study plan in B Science.

You need to maintain at least Credit average in Med Sc or you might transfer you to B Sc.

And of course, at the end, your testamur would say "Bachelor of Medical Science" instead of "Bachelor of Science", which you can brag about in front of your B Sc friends :D

Densuki said:
3. would doing any of the 3 disadvantage u when doing medicine? or the process in getting into medicine?
See my answer to 1

Densuki said:
4. are D avg hard to gain?
hmmm, this is like asking how hard is it to get a Band 6 in HSC biology... I think to get a D average is as difficult as getting a Band 6 in HSC Biology :p But yeah may be this is not a good analogy but you'll this find out yourself once you start uni.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Densuki said:
really? so say after i did a B Med sci for 3 years and get into medicine
i have to do another 6 years there?!
in total making it 9years?
on unsw' website it says medicine ( undergraduate)
medicine ( post graduate)
the technicalities of the word "post graduate" and "Grad-entry"

Unsw is talking about their masters and doctorate programs..

Usyd grad entry undergraduate medicine (MBBS) is 4 yrs..
its best candidate for the position.. not the one at that uni (like cos u went to usyd, a unsw or UWS grad may get the position over u)

unless ure in a concessional position lik u got 99.95+ in yr 12 and did their special program

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)