UOW Law (1 Viewer)

maka

HSC
Does UOW have PLT or an equivalent?

I am aware that both UTS and ANU do definitely and was unsure about UOW.

Does anyone know the contents of it?

Looked at the UOW Law site but was a bit unsure still.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah I thought they were the first to build it in but I didn't want to be attacked by students of other law schools....

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It probably was UOW but as I have said many times, when i went to Sydney and NSW open days they would both claim to pioneer things such as small group teaching etc... etc..

I know UOW, UWS and UTS have this...in fact i think if you do the LLB there you can actually do the whole PLT. For UWS I think its about half the PLT for combine law, provided you chose particular electives, how much can u do at UOW?

santaslayer

HSC
melsc said:
It probably was UOW but as I have said many times, when i went to Sydney and NSW open days they would both claim to pioneer things such as small group teaching etc... etc..

I know UOW, UWS and UTS have this...in fact i think if you do the LLB there you can actually do the whole PLT. For UWS I think its about half the PLT for combine law, provided you chose particular electives, how much can u do at UOW?
PLT may be completed in full during the last year (5th, or 6th for some) provided that you have completed all 'Priestley 11' core subjects. These subjects include:

Criminal Law and Justice
Torts
Contracts
Property Law A (Real Property)
Property Law B (Equity)
Public Law A (Administrative Law)
Public Law B (Australian Constitutional Law)
Remedies and Civil Procedure
Evidence Law of Business Organisations
Lawyers and Australian Society (coursework only) (Professional Conduct)

EDIT: I can't believe Crim isn't included!!!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
yeah I think I was told that if I wanted most of my PLT completed I'd have to choose particular electives, but I don't mind, the more practical the better and he quicker I am qualified the better :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
We have compulsory plt subjects built into the course, and then if you wish you can finish off the plt course at UOW (takes half a semester).

The subjects compulsory for us are Communication Skills (client interviewing), Advocacy, Dispute Management, Drafting, and theres one more that I can't remember right at the moment.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
MiuMiu said:
The subjects compulsory for us are Communication Skills (client interviewing), Advocacy, Dispute Management, Drafting, and theres one more that I can't remember right at the moment.
There are only four of the 2cp skills subjects, and you named them all. Unless you also mean advanced legal skills (LLB396 or something like that)?

The sooner I'm out the better.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Yep. And it's an elective, not compulsory (from memory).

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Is it common at uow for people to be keen to drop their other degree?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
Is it common at uow for people to be keen to drop their other degree?
I am unsure of the tone you expect me to read into this, so I will assume it is a genuine question. In my experience, no, it is not common at all, although how you would expect anyone on here to be able to provide a proper answer to this question is beyond me, as any accounts that we give are purely anecdotal.

I would say that there is a higher instance of people wanting to drop their other degree at UOW than at other unis (USYD et al) because, as far as I know, it is not possible to do such a thing at the other unis. UOW on the other hand offers a four-year LLB program for undergraduates, which makes the transfer possible.

In my case, a BMedSc is completely irrelevant to my interests (although this was not the case when I chose it as a preference), and where I want to go with my degree. As I perform substantially better in my law subjects than in those from the health and behavioural sciences schedule, and I have no intention to ever use a BMedSc, keeping it is a waste of my time and money (those subjects aren't cheap, y'know).

santaslayer

HSC
I don't really wanna drop any part of my degree as of yet because I've done so much of it already. Dropping now would be a waste of money and time.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
hfis said:
I am unsure of the tone you expect me to read into this, so I will assume it is a genuine question. In my experience, no, it is not common at all, although how you would expect anyone on here to be able to provide a proper answer to this question is beyond me, as any accounts that we give are purely anecdotal.

I would say that there is a higher instance of people wanting to drop their other degree at UOW than at other unis (USYD et al) because, as far as I know, it is not possible to do such a thing at the other unis. UOW on the other hand offers a four-year LLB program for undergraduates, which makes the transfer possible.

In my case, a BMedSc is completely irrelevant to my interests (although this was not the case when I chose it as a preference), and where I want to go with my degree. As I perform substantially better in my law subjects than in those from the health and behavioural sciences schedule, and I have no intention to ever use a BMedSc, keeping it is a waste of my time and money (those subjects aren't cheap, y'know).
It was a serious question. I think I read somewhere that you wanted to drop the non law component. I also read that Mui Mui is now just straight up law.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Straight law is the way to go. I'm damn glad I didn't spend and extra year as well as overloading to do some other degree I'm never going to use.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I'll put in my opinion and say that the BA component of my combined law was invaluable to my development as a student in general.

I think I would be less of a person if I hadn't done the BA. Of course this is a personal opinion and other people may have hated their non law component.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah I found a BA to be a profusely time-wasting undertaking when I knew full well from the start that I was not going to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)