upcoming election (the one on SUNDAY) (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i'm pretty sure its for this sat'day? its to select the councillors in your local council... you know, the 'bastards' who dodgingly approved that massive block of flats blocking your view... bastards...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Local Government is the biggest fucking joke. They're all corrupt (Wollongong Council is a good example, my mate and I saw the old-Lord Mayor who was chucked out because he burnt down his own restaurant, whilst Mayor, to get the insurance [he's ethnic :p], we couldn't do anything but piss ourselves laughing), lazy, inept and highly opinionated ignornamouses. Do a donkey vote I say!

Anyway, all LG does is show us that we are the most over-governed nation on the planet. Down here in Wollongong we have the wards, then the Mayor (both voted for separately). Add to that the State and Federal governments and technically the Queen - It's a madhouse!

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Haha, I went to my council meeting a few weeks ago and if I were voting, NONE of them would get my vote. All they did was yell at each other and got absolutely nowhere.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
vote for the best looking guy/lady
I dont know what council your in but my council has ugly old turds and they didnt even send me a letter telling me when the election was on , i read it off my parent's letter!! I'll cross all the names off the ballet, write my own name, draw a square and haha 1 vote for me!!

Really dont matter in Kogarah , it always the labour guy, his always at 60% and the liberal guy/gal is like always 30% so ur only wasting time turning up!! Why cant it be like America, u dont have to vote if you dont want to, at least make it for the local governament!!

B

Bambul

Ah, but you see there's no such thing as compulsory voting in Australia - anywhere. It's only compulsory to walk up, get your name marked off and then put the ballot in the box. You never actually have to put a number 1 next to anyone's name! :)

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by Bambul
Ah, but you see there's no such thing as compulsory voting in Australia - anywhere. It's only compulsory to walk up, get your name marked off and then put the ballot in the box. You never actually have to put a number 1 next to anyone's name! :)
Kicking name is easy, I'm pissed off cause of the energy I have to waste turning up!!

peepee

loser.
HSC
lol i ended up just leaving the ballot sheets blank
and then my stupid sister calls because she's in the city and couldn't vote, so i went to a different school and did another blank under her name lol
whoops illegal

Scanorama

HSC
Originally posted by peepee
lol i ended up just leaving the ballot sheets blank
and then my stupid sister calls because she's in the city and couldn't vote, so i went to a different school and did another blank under her name lol
whoops illegal
Dont they even check your id?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Snapwizard
I dont know what council your in but my council has ugly old turds and they didnt even send me a letter telling me when the election was on , i read it off my parent's letter!! I'll cross all the names off the ballet, write my own name, draw a square and haha 1 vote for me!!
Don't do this - if you want vote informal do so. Even add a 'None of the Above' box if you like. But don't put your own name, as voting is supposed to be anonymous, and you are not permitted to put anything that identifies you as the voter onto your ballot.
Originally posted by Gough Whitlam
Dont they even check your id?
No, they don't - how dodgy is that!

Note: they DO scan in the rolls and check for multiple voting.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by peepee
chill out CM_Tutor, we're only messing around :)
I know that, I was giving some useful advice. Under the electoral law, any mark on the ballot which identities the voter renders the ballot informal (Cth Electoral Act (1918), s 268 ss 1(d), and I'm sure there is a similar provision under NSW law). I seem to recall having read that deliberately rendering a ballot informal in this way is an offence.

What I am saying is that if you want to put 'facist' after a candidate, or anything else (that doesn't identify you), then fine - but I suggest that you don't risk getting into trouble by identifying yourself. Just some friendly advice. :)

Scanorama

HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
No, they don't - how dodgy is that!

Note: they DO scan in the rolls and check for multiple voting.
Do they check voters' id in the federal election?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Gough Whitlam
Do they check voters' id in the federal election?
Leaving aside the irony involved in this question being asked by a former Prime Minister...

No - not allowed to. The following is section 229 of the Commonwealth Electoral Act (1918). It sets out what the procedure is for establishing identity in a Federal Election:

Questions to be put to voter

(1) The presiding officer shall put the following questions to each person attending before the presiding officer and claiming to vote in an election or elections:

(a) What is your full name?
(b) Where do you live?
(c) Have you voted before in this election? or Have you voted before in these elections? (as the case requires).

(2) In addition to the questions put under subsection (1), the presiding officer shall ask each person claiming to vote as an absent voter in an election to identify the Division for which the person is enrolled.

(4) If the answers to the questions specified in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) that are given by a person claiming to vote are not sufficient to distinguish that person from another person on the certified list of voters, the presiding officer may, for the purpose of distinguishing the 2 persons, ask the person claiming to vote another question or other questions relating to matters shown on the certified list of voters in relation to those persons.

(5) Subject to section 235, if a person claiming to vote to whom questions are put under this section:

(a) refuses to answer fully any question so put; or
(c) answers a question specified in paragraph (1)(c) in the affirmative;

the person's claim to vote shall be rejected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)