(urgent) Actuarial Studies Questions (1 Viewer)

kranqualizer

HSC
Your help is needed. Because the main round closing date is in two weeks and i am very lost..

1. Which uni has the best employment opportunity for an actuarian?? (macquarie, usyd or unsw)

i am hearing macquarie from macquarie graduates (maybe biased) however usyd/unsw seem more prestigious

2. What may be the difference between these uniz' actuarial studies course? The uai cut-off at macquarie (96.00) is much higher than usyd/unsw (93.00). Do they learn the exact same things?

3. Is 4U vital in actuarial studies? I am a 3U student. Will it affect my learning in a significant way (... it may take me much more time to grasp the concepts??)

thankyou!

rubin

HSC
I am not an acturial student so my comment may not be as valid. But i do know that historically, Macqaurie definately has the best reputation for acturaial studies. As with most courses, 'reputation' does not necessarily mean it will be a superior course to others. It depends on your preferences. Also, I think 4U is recommnended but not essential. I don't think missing 4U maths will be that big a disadvantage - acturaial studies is just plain hard regardless (or so iv'e heard)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i did actuary for six weeks before dropping out due to boredom (and of course, lack of intelligence). i would say club mac is a better place to go because its the oldest course, and looking at what they do, it seems a little easier than at unsw. but unsw is more flexible, and its not such a big deal if you need to drop out of actuary.

in any sort of maths-based major, 4u maths is a huge advantage to have beforehand. if you got 48+/50 in 3u you should manage actuary alright though.

turtleface

HSC
kranqualizer said:
1. Which uni has the best employment opportunity for an actuarian?? (macquarie, usyd or unsw)
Just a friendly reminder to find out a little about what an "actuarian" is before plunging into this highly narrow and technical area.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
kranqualizer said:
Your help is needed. Because the main round closing date is in two weeks and i am very lost..

i am hearing macquarie from macquarie graduates (maybe biased) however usyd/unsw seem more prestigious

2. What may be the difference between these uniz' actuarial studies course? The uai cut-off at macquarie (96.00) is much higher than usyd/unsw (93.00). Do they learn the exact same things?

3. Is 4U vital in actuarial studies? I am a 3U student. Will it affect my learning in a significant way (... it may take me much more time to grasp the concepts??)

thankyou!
1. your employability depends on yourself and how many exemptions you get if ur going for actuarial. i presume uni has little correlation.

2. u would have to have done both courses to know the differences. the exemption subjects are accredited by the institute so again i would presume you learn similar material for those subjects. the uai cut-off at unsw is for the whole commerce degree whereas the macq one is just for actuarial.

3. no

just a tip: make sure u do it for the right reasons

milton

HSC
1. a person is an ACTUARY not an actuarian

2. syd doesnot offer actuarial studies. only unis are macq, UNSW, ANU and Melb

3. only 3U is required, 4U recommended. in fact i've heard the only thing u need in 4U is integration by parts...
i'm told the actuarial studies course actually does not invovle "a lot" of maths, contrary to popular opinion, but it involves a lot of problem solving. at UNSW you do all the maths in the 1st year and the job is very different to the course.

ks21

HSC
Employment for actuarial students would depend more on the individual (interpersonal skills, intelligence, extracurricular) in my opinion rather than which university you attended to gain your exemptions.

However, UNSW is probably a safer option in terms of flexibility if you realise actuarial studies is not for you. Macquarie Uni is historically the best for actuarial studies. The cutoffs shouldn't be compared as at UNSW only the commerce degree cutoff is needed, while at Maq its specific to actuarial studies. It is recommended you have a UAI of 97 or above to succeed at either uni.

It shouldn't make much difference if you are a quick learner.

xclo

HSC
why is the uai requirements at unsw for actuarial studies so low, i thought it was a pretty popular course. does anyone think there'll be a chance it might go up to something between 98 and 99 this time?

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
if there are x places in a course. the uai cut-off of that course will be the uai of the x-th person who was accepted into it, ie the last person.

This basically tells u that uai cut-offs are directly determined by supply and demand. Eg. there's a high demand for law at usyd and not that many places and so the x-th person's uai will be high, thus a high cut-off. also, with comm at unsw, thers a high demand but there is probably a very large intake and thus a large supply, so that the lowest uai cut-off is as u say 'low'.

so basically, u cant say if a course is popular it will definitely have a high cut-off. coz u gotta account for supply as well.

ps. dont do a course by looking at its cut-off.

ks21

HSC
xclo said:
why is the uai requirements at unsw for actuarial studies so low, i thought it was a pretty popular course. does anyone think there'll be a chance it might go up to something between 98 and 99 this time?
To undertake actuarial studies at UNSW you only have to satisfy the B Commerce UAI cutoff, while at Maq Uni, there is a specified cutoff for actuarial studies within the commerce degree. This results in a higher drop out rate for actuarial studies at UNSW, as actuarial studies is only recommended for people with UAI 97 or above.

There is no chance of the cutoff getting as high as 98/99, unless they introduce a seperate UAI cutoff for actuarial studies at UNSW, and even then chances are slim.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
for first year actuary its recommended that you have a combined 3u/4u maths mark of 180/200. interestingly, for math1141 its 186/200 even though its an easier course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)