• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Urgent Help (1 Viewer)

Sleeping Beauty

hi every1
one of my friends just started yr 11 , now she has changed schools n gone to a selective school . initially she was in public.
she reckons dat the selctive school has covered most of the yr 11 work in yr 10 n so it will be hard for her to catch up!:mad:

also the selective school students do part of their hsc this yr. she thinks dat she will fail her hsc since she hasn't done ne yr 11 work...she is thinking of going back to the public school

wat do u guy's reckon she shud do??:confused:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Well it is actually illegal for schools to start the Prelim course in year 10 (unless they are formally accelerated), so she can't have missed out on too much. I think it might be that its just more a change of environment that has shocked her. Tell her to stick with it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
how can they do the school certificate if their brains are full of yr 11 knowledge, unless they did the yr 10 course in yr 7!! :D

Winston

HSC
no there are some schools like that, for example the 2 unit mathematic course, theoretically about 30 - 40% of it is Advanced year 10 maths, i know some schools skip those topics, and just assume that most students came from advanced, but disregard the fact that some may be from intermediate.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i did 3u maths topics during yr10.....like many other schools
after the school certificate, there really isn't much you can do, so teachers start teaching you yr11 stuff
and my school is not selective, a rather crap one too

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I know a fair amount of James Ruse students doing year 10/11 this year and I can safely say they have certainly gone way ahead of schedule.

I can recall my friend asking for help on polynomials.....in year 10....

I was in year 12 when I did that, and I didn't even know how to do it anyway :D

Someguy123

Originally posted by redslert
i did 3u maths topics during yr10.....like many other schools
after the school certificate, there really isn't much you can do, so teachers start teaching you yr11 stuff
and my school is not selective, a rather crap one too
after yr 10 no one came back to our school so we just mucked around

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
a selctive school student is what i call a student that has an ability to excel better in school than the average student. i dont mean to offend those that go to a public school, i have seen so many kids that deserve to go to a selective school more than me, who go to normal public schools. the fact that she has accepted the offer for the school shows that she is keen for a challenge. even if they have started the work, she, i assume is the keen student who does want a challenge and try to push herself to the limits of her learning. now that i have moved to a full selevtive school, i know now what my flaws and my abilities are. in other words, it was kind of a wake up call :D
the key word in your post is "rekon". they havent. putting in mind, the majority of kids from selective schools go to hardcore tutoring. usually parrallell to the grade their in or the grade above. the personally think there is nothing for your friend to be worried about. she should be happy that she is now in an environment that will allow her to strecth her abilities ;)

Numero Uno

HSC
Ur Friends an idiot

btw i know dumbassses that go to selective school
i dont meen Ruse of course

but the lower selective schools ... u know what i meen
they are overated

some people their are nothin special

and btw i did polynomials in year 10 :D
its all good 4 unit math for me next year :S

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by Sleeping Beauty
hi every1
one of my friends just started yr 11 , now she has changed schools n gone to a selective school . initially she was in public.
she reckons dat the selctive school has covered most of the yr 11 work in yr 10 n so it will be hard for her to catch up!:mad:

also the selective school students do part of their hsc this yr. she thinks dat she will fail her hsc since she hasn't done ne yr 11 work...she is thinking of going back to the public school

wat do u guy's reckon she shud do??:confused:

there is no way they've done 'part of their hsc' this year, excepting starting yr 12 in term 4 (which we all do). that's illegal. what school is she at?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Re: Re: Urgent Help

Originally posted by glycerine
there is no way they've done 'part of their hsc' this year, excepting starting yr 12 in term 4 (which we all do). that's illegal. what school is she at?
illegal? thats against the law!!!

i want this school closed down immediately!!! and the children and teachers send to silverwater jail... to where they belong. :p

hey she sounds stupid... so yea public is the way to go. "public education its time to give more... " :D

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i dun think it'll matter too much. if anything it will motivate her to work harder...and she's obviously smart so i think she should be able to handle it. the important thing is not to be discouraged by the "apparent" fact that she's behind everyone else.

*hopeful*

HSC
Re: Re: Urgent Help

Originally posted by glycerine
uh its not actually illegal wen the board of studies has approved it
many skools do that ie accelerating students in yr 11
i did part of my hsc in year 11, that is, 2 hsc subjects n the rest in yr 12
classic example of a skool that does it is james ruse
sleeping beauty, if ur friend can handle the work she should definately stay or she should stay on n maybe not do any subjects this yr essentially its wat she'll b comfortable doing

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
I know a fair amount of James Ruse students doing year 10/11 this year and I can safely say they have certainly gone way ahead of schedule.

I can recall my friend asking for help on polynomials.....in year 10....

I was in year 12 when I did that, and I didn't even know how to do it anyway :D
yep polynomials and ciricle geometry and i think there was another one can't remember now
they are the 3u topics which "advanced" year 10 students are suppose to do

it's not illegal! a lot of schools do it

Toby

hmm..
Yea, in year 10 we get to choose polynomials/circle geometry/combinations and permutations
But they teach it again anyways for us slow people :)
I dun go JR btw, a lot of selective schools do it though

abdooooo!!!

Banned
what the hell is polynomials??? isn't that just the fundamental theorem of algebra... so if you did algebra then you did polynomials right? :)

believe it or not you'll come across polynomials and bunch of fields theory again in uni... but it doesn't mean that if you done polynomials in 4u math for high school you would understand it. ;)

and for the combinations and permutations, and circles isn't that just general knowledge? i mean if you go ask a smart student in primary school, he/she would know how to do them basic questions without any specific previous knowledge. its just logics.

so in conclusion the girl is too stupid to be in a selective school. :p

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
mmm.....sleeping beauty id suggest ur friend stays in the selective school! jeez...its alot more challenging and competitve there...i personally prefer more and more competition as long as its healthy! so yeah good on her!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)