use the rounded or exact answer? (1 Viewer)

indeed

HSC
Hi guys,
For mulitple part Qs (e.g. part a, b, c) requiring the previous parts' results, should I use the exact answer I got for the previous part or the rounded (sig figs) answer from the previous part?

(I'm not sure how they want it in HSC)

cossine

HSC
Hi guys,
For mulitple part Qs (e.g. part a, b, c) requiring the previous parts' results, should I use the exact answer I got for the previous part or the rounded (sig figs) answer from the previous part?

I think it will be best to look at the NESA website for solutions to past papers and see how the working is laid out.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I’m not a teacher or HSC marker, but at postgrad level, rounding to correct sig fig is for reporting outputs/results. For ongoing calculations, I would expect every step to be as accurate as possible to minimise the error of the final result.

Last edited:

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
Hi guys,

I used the rounded number for my exams.

wizzkids

HSC
Always leave the rounding to the final result.
Never round the intermediate results, or else you are introducing rounding errors half-way through the calculation.
If you are answering a multi-part question, then the intermediate results can be reported after rounding, but when you carry on and do the final parts(s) of the question, do not use the rounded intermediate results.

indeed

HSC
Always leave the rounding to the final result.
Never round the intermediate results, or else you are introducing rounding errors half-way through the calculation.
What about for multiple part Qs (where you rounded your answer in part A, and need to reuse it in part B, would you use the exact or rounded answer?)

carrotsss

HSC
What about for multiple part Qs (where you rounded your answer in part A, and need to reuse it in part B, would you use the exact or rounded answer?)
Keep the exact in your calculator and use it, but it isn’t the end of the world if you dont

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)