using abbrev. in economics tests (1 Viewer)

coroneos

Do you think you would get marked down in economics essays inc. in the HSC external exam if you used a lot of abbreviations and arrows..

i.e. instead of increase in demand

u just go arrow pointing up followed by D.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I wouldn't...A lot of it is about "impression marking". They probably wouldn't explicitly take marks away from you, but it would detract from the overall quality of your piece of writing. Don't chance it.

coroneos

okay.. yeah i guess my essay would be 2x longer if i didnt abbreviate it, but then the opportunity cost would be a decrease in overall content I cover.

I mean essentially I will only have max. ~ 55mins to do one essay if i breeze thru MC and SA.

AGB

HSC
i disagree....if at the beginning of a monetary policy essay you wrote:

Monetary Policy (MP) is an effective tool for blah blah blah...

then you could comfortably write MP everytime you wanted to say monetary policy throughout the essay

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
as long as you don't use arrows and stuff too excessively, i think it should be fine.

be careful with using MP though, make it clear that ur referring to monetary, the marker may mistake it for something like macro policy

i personally like IC (international competitiveness), and of course, GDP, FDI, PSUD, stuff like that

coroneos

yeah i still am not taking the risk.

It would be unfortunate to lose marks because they rkn i forgot what it was and that I fudged it.

i.e MP - wanting to say Monetary instead of Macro

Lethargist

HSC
N/A
I was at an edassist lecture on economics, and the lecturer was a senior marker for the hsc.

He said arrows etc were fine.

Basically, if an examiner can read it without having to slow down, then it is fine.

Also, make sure you write out and abbreviations fully at least once, ie "Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA)". That way, they can't possibly mistake what you are trying to say

Last edited:

coroneos

yeah i see.. thanks :)

yeah I am only afraid of the abbreviation MP..

i.e. MP = Monetary Policy?
Macroeconomics Policy?
Microeconomic Policy?
Marginal Propensity?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
lol

yes I think the general consensus is that if u state the full statement first, follwed by abbreviation in brackets, should be fine

timmii

sporadic attendee
Oh i agree with abbreviating words e,g RBA but I don't think arrows give a good impression, particularly since when the marker reads them it doesn't have an english correspondent.

For instance if i said "when the govt raises i.r's then..." you read it as "when the government raises interest rates..." However if i go "when govt (arrow) i.r's" you're thinking "increases, raise, pushes up..." the flow of the sentence is disrupted. In my personal opinion i would not use arrows as a substitute for words. But cost/benefit analysis. If you don't think you'll finish the essay and you're not looking for full marks in the essay - then go for it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)