• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Using extension 1 formulas/methods in mathematics? (1 Viewer)

Carl5

HSC
I'm sure this has been asked before but... Are we allowed to use it? Like Binomial Theorem and Circle geometry. I've come across possible uses a few times but have always stuck to the 2 unit way of doing it. However, if I did use the 3 unit method (if I forget another way to do it or something) will I still get marks?

rawrence

HSC
What kind of formulas you talking about? The only Circle Geo formula I know is the tangent chord thing PA² = PBxPC thing which you can assume unless otherwise stated

And binomial, are you talking about the general term formula? the greatest term formula? Usually you need to derive the greatest term, general term can be assumed.

Other than that, what are you talking about lol

EDIT: Oh shit right, you're talking about mathematics. I don't know, is it the same if we use 4U methods in 3U? because I'm pretty sure we don't get marks for that

Carl5

HSC
I'm basically talking about EVERYTHING haha. Circle geometry and binomial theorem were just the ones that I've noticed. Either way, I'll restrict myself to 2 unit stuff unless I absolutely need to use 3 unit just to be safe.

HSC
The thing is - you will never NEED to use Ext1 method in 2U...the paper cannot ask for methods/formulae from higher levels! Just remember - there's always a 2u way to do it!

HSC
Uni Grad
3U methods are allowed in the 2U paper, but even then all questions are designed so that a 2U only student can do it.

Carl5

HSC
Thanks guys. I've always found the 2u way in the end, but sometimes it's the 3u that becomes apparent to me first haha.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I've seen 2U papers with 3U methods inside them. However the test must be doable for a 2U student using 2U methods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)