USYD medicine (1 Viewer)

enjoi.007

HSC
Hi all,

i just wanted to know whether or not the usyd combined medicine program would be running next year? ive been looking around and it appears to me that the course was only for 2007 applicants, is this right?

thanks

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
No, it's just the info on the Usyd website was based on the HSC 07 cohort it obviously hasn't been updated for this year and the program has already been up and running for quite a few years. Also you've done ur hsc? You must have gotten over 99.5> for BMus/MBBS, BA(Adv) hons/MBBS and 99.95+ for B Sci Adv/MBBS just to get an interview for the program.

http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/combineddegree/index.php

enjoi.007

HSC
ok, thanks for that. if a person gets 99.95 (im from south australia and thats the highest score you can get), is the umat considered in getting an interview for the MBBS/ arts program?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
enjoi.007 said:
ok, thanks for that. if a person gets 99.95 (im from south australia and thats the highest score you can get), is the umat considered in getting an interview for the MBBS/ arts program?
No, umat is not considered all you need to do is apply via uac and achieve the uai to get an interview. However this program is only open to school levers also you must maintain above credit average and do the talented student program within your desired course or else your kicked out.

Ask ssglain about it she's doing B Sci Adv/MBBS this year.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Oh so there's different cutoffs for Science/Med, Music/Med and Arts/Med? What about Med Sc/Med? Do they still offer that?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
lala2 said:
Oh so there's different cutoffs for Science/Med, Music/Med and Arts/Med? What about Med Sc/Med? Do they still offer that?
Yes they ofer Med Sci/MBBS but it's a pointless undergraduate degree considering that you will be studying medicine if you maintain your grades. Also they strongly advise you to do what you enjoy. Refer to website.

ssglain

HSC
I'm here, I'm here.

Alternatively, you could ask hague about it - he's been doing it since last year. :p

>>> i just wanted to know whether or not the usyd combined medicine program would be running next year? ive been looking around and it appears to me that the course was only for 2007 applicants, is this right?

It is still up and running. It's doing great wonders to their elitist egos so the program will probably stay there for quite some time. They're also planning to offer combinations with BCom or BEco. You said to me that you're taking a gap year at the moment - as far as I'm aware, admission is only available to fresh school leavers so you should check with them.

>>> if a person gets 99.95 (im from south australia and thats the highest score you can get), is the umat considered in getting an interview for the MBBS/ arts program?

No, UMAT is not part of the selection criteria. The NSW 100 UAI thing is a bit silly since it's mathematically impossible to be placed at the 100th percentile, which is why all other states (that give percentile ranks) only go up to 99.95 and this corresponds to 99.95-100 UAI. Congratulations for this amazing achievement!

>>> You must have gotten over 99.5> for BMus/MBBS, BA(Adv) hons/MBBS... just to get an interview for the program.
It's 99.50 for BMus/MBBS, 99.95 for BA(Adv)(Hons), and intakes are 2 and 8 respectively.

>>> What about Med Sc/Med? Do they still offer that?

Combinations with BSc(Adv) or BMedSc are 99.95UAI. Because they're both done with the Science Faculty and share the same 1st year study pattern, students in either have the option to transfer to the other until the start of 2nd year.

>>> you must maintain above credit average and do the talented student program within your desired course or else your kicked out.

It's true that they lowered it to credit average this year since it's not exactly fair to ask people in the combined program for D average when randoms can get a shot at grad MBBS with a C - but everyone in the program is on a $10,000 p.a. Outstanding Achievement Scholarship (since everyone got 99.95+) and that requires minimum D average anyway.

All you need to do is be part of the TSP. There are loop holes that allow you to be in it without doing any work at all. Half of my cohort's doing that. I'm at the opposite extreme - I'm taking a 6 cp 3rd year maths unit and a 3 cp showcase project through TSP on top of the standard 24 this semester.

>>> Yes they ofer Med Sci/MBBS but it's a pointless undergraduate degree considering that you will be studying medicine if you maintain your grades.

I agree with you to an extent but I think a lot of people, esp those who've chosen to do BMedSc/MBBS will beg to differ.

As I said above, the 1st year study patterns for BMedSc and BSc(Adv) are almost identical. BMedSc is basically just a more prescribed version of BSc(Adv) - you must take maths chem and biol plus either phys or comp sc in 1st year and you must do at least one med sc related major. People in these two streams often end up doing the exact same things. BMedSc prepares you well and fixes you onto a path to grad med whereas BSc(Adv) allows you a lot of freedom to take detours.

BMedSc definitely caters to a portion of people in the program - I mean, unless you voluntarily want the detours (for example, I'm planning a maths major), BMedSc works out to be a lot more straightforward. Also, MBBS here is 2 years shorter than most undergrad MBBS degrees so BMedSc, in a way, let's you make up for the difference.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)