USYD Strikes (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I have moved this thread to the News, Current Affairs & Politics forum because I think that it is more suited for this thread. The individual university forums are more appropriate for questions/discussions regarding degrees and education-related aspects of each university. :)

In terms of the strikes, I find it intriguing that a university as large and financially capable as USyd is seemingly unable (or unwilling?) to provide favourable remuneration and working conditions to its staff. The fact that the enterprise bargaining process has been ongoing since 2021 is also interesting. 🤔

Hopefully both management and staff can reach an agreement soon.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
In terms of the strikes, I find it intriguing that a university as large and financially capable as USyd is seemingly unable (or unwilling?) to provide favourable remuneration and working conditions to its staff. The fact that the enterprise bargaining process has been ongoing since 2021 is also interesting. 🤔
is this a joke lol

The strike comes two weeks after university management made a pay offer which would have meant Sydney University staff were the best-paid academics in the higher education sector, giving them 50 days of sick leave every year and a $2000 one-off payment to counter cost of living increases.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/this-is-the-hill-we-will-die-on-sydney-uni-academics-go-on-strike-20230308-p5cqjy.html

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
its so dumb trying to make it a progressive issue about using the university's wealth to pay staff more

wouldnt the really progressive thing to do be using that wealth to lower the cost of education for 'disadvanataged' students, or accomodating more students?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
is this a joke lol

The strike comes two weeks after university management made a pay offer which would have meant Sydney University staff were the best-paid academics in the higher education sector, giving them 50 days of sick leave every year and a $2000 one-off payment to counter cost of living increases.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/this-is-the-hill-we-will-die-on-sydney-uni-academics-go-on-strike-20230308-p5cqjy.html
I am aware of this. I was merely speculating based on that same quote that you included as well as these:

"But the union said when 15.4 per cent was spread over five years – the period of time when the old agreement lapsed in 2021 and when a new one was due to begin in 2026 – the increase equated to just 3.3 per cent a year and was well below inflation."

"It contended that the pay offer was well below last year’s inflation figure of 7.8 per cent and lower than other offers recently agreed to by staff at the University of Technology Sydney, Western Sydney University and Australian Catholic University."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)