UTS exchange services (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey,
I was hoping to get into UTS next year with 4 of my top preferences at UTS. I was wondering what UTS offers as far as gap years go. I wanna spend some time away from home , I have a brochure i picked up at the open day which doesn't really say much except that there are some uni's in europe,USA (uni of iowa?) and asia.

Is there a website where i could get some more info on this.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Gap years aren't offered by unis, they are offered through groups like GAP... gap year usually refers to a year off between school and uni.

If you mean six months/a year abroad studying as part of your degree, then go to http://www.iis.uts.edu.au and click on exchanges. I'm about to go on exchange to study in London for six months and it counts towards my degree. At the website you can see the unis that UTS has arrangements with for exchanges.

They are pretty good at the exchange office, all pretty friendly, and UTS sends quite a lot of people overseas each year. Your chances of being able to do an exchange if you want to are pretty high, there are a lot of places offered in various countries.

Any other questions ask away, I have been through the whole applications process and the website is pretty thorough in explaining it all. The people at the exchanges office know their stuff as well in my experience. It's all been pretty painless so far, except for the waiting for acceptances from the overseas uni, that took ages.

HSC
great thanks ash , thats exactly what i'm looking for!

I've heard life is hard, but i really need to get away from here for abit. be sure to post on the boards.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Ash what are you doing for money over there?

Are you planning on working or have you already saved up and will just live off that?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Saved up a fair amount by working multiple jobs all this year, but I am also hoping to work a bit as well over there (still uncertain as to whether I will have the legal right to work on the visa I will be on because I am studying for less than six months so I'm not entitled to a student visa and it will be the decision of the entry officer when I get there, I didn't want to use my working holidaymaker visa yet, but apparently that is no barrier to actually working in London in a pub or something). I will get some youth allowance while I am over there as well, not much at all (about 30 pound a week I think!), but every little bit counts. UTS gave me a little bit of money as well, and travel insurance for the duration which was one less expense for me. And if worse comes to absolute worst, which it really shouldn't, my parents will always bail me out, but it shouldn't come to that I have been planning and saving for a whole year. Oh I should add that my parents paid for my airfare for Christmas/21st birthday coming up in May gift so that was one less expense.

Apparently it will cost nearly $20000 AU dollars (inc airfares and everything) to live and travel over there for 6 months... and that is living stoogey as well. And I don't have to pay any fees to the uni, only my UTS fees/HECS. I've decided I'm going to live as a vegetarian over there also to save money on food... every little bit counts.

mishyma

HSC
yeah i want to do something like that .. ive always wanted to go to america .. not sure if i should try get an exchange there or take a gap year work my but off visit n come back ???

choice's choice's ...

HSC
I think there's a thing called the "application for Leave of absence" up to 2 semesters. You can check it out here: http://www.sau.uts.edu.au/students/loa.html/

It's aimed at those who want some time off (gap year) or on exchange.

As for the gap year, that's different from exchange programs, and you really need to decide what you want to do during that year.

There are some volunteering programs and separate organisations that cater for those seeking a gap year.

Try STA travel & volunteering programs online and see what you get. Or even some internship if your prepared to do the research. It's really up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)