UTS or UNSW engineering? (1 Viewer)

Rishipreetam

HSC
Mechatronic Engineering which is best in a long run .....
Employment ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In UNSW engineering, you can't graduate until you have done 3 months of industrial training (which you will have to find yourself), so on one hand, compulsory work experience before graduating will make you more employable, on the other hand, if you don't find the relevant job experience in sufficient time, you can't graduate so...

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Mechatronic Engineering which is best in a long run .....
Employment ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Employment only matters if you're a good candidate or not. An employer won't be like "omg he went UNSW let's hire him", they'll look at you as a candidate regardless of your uni.

However pretty sure UNSW is the best for engineering in NSW at least so defs recommend that :)

Last edited:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
In UNSW engineering, you can't graduate until you have done 3 months of industrial training (which you will have to find yourself)
It's like this everywhere; it's an Engineers Australia requirement to have done 60 days of work experience in order to finish an engineering degree (whether you study in NSW, QLD, WA, etc).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It's like this everywhere; it's an Engineers Australia requirement to have done 60 days of work experience in order to finish an engineering degree (whether you study in NSW, QLD, WA, etc).
Thank you for the clarification.
From what I have heard, UTS finds the 60 days of work experience for the student (which I guess is much easier compared to UNSW where students have to find the placement themselves)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I have heard, UTS finds the 60 days of work experience for the student (which I guess is much easier compared to UNSW where students have to find the placement themselves)
Ah right yeah I think UTS does have something different. I think they have to do like a year in industry (or maybe that's just an option for them), but the fact that they find it for you is unique to them.

ShootingDuck

HSC
The one year work experience/internship is part of the degree unless you're an international student or doing a double degree.

I'm only a first year student at UTS, but overall I have had mostly positive experiences. One of my main complaints is that you have to do a subject called "engineering communication which is meant to help develop written and oral communication skills, which I absolutely hate and I think is a waste of time. Its not fun when your whole group does nothing and you have to do a whole assessment by yourself. I don't think UNSW has a subjects like that from what I've heard.Though I don't regret my choice choosing UTS over UNSW(at least so far). Regardless if you're looking for a more "academic" university with more competition, UNSW is the way to go. Otherwise if you don't really care about prestige and such, its better to go with the one thats more convenient for you. Like what pikachu said, employers don't really care which university you came from as long as you're a suitable candidate.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Its not fun when your whole group does nothing and you have to do a whole assessment by yourself.
lmao welcome to uni bud, get used to this cos you're gonna get a lot more of it over the next 4 years.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The one year work experience/internship is part of the degree unless you're an international student or doing a double degree.

I'm only a first year student at UTS, but overall I have had mostly positive experiences. One of my main complaints is that you have to do a subject called "engineering communication which is meant to help develop written and oral communication skills, which I absolutely hate and I think is a waste of time. Its not fun when your whole group does nothing and you have to do a whole assessment by yourself. I don't think UNSW has a subjects like that from what I've heard.Though I don't regret my choice choosing UTS over UNSW(at least so far). Regardless if you're looking for a more "academic" university with more competition, UNSW is the way to go. Otherwise if you don't really care about prestige and such, its better to go with the one thats more convenient for you. Like what pikachu said, employers don't really care which university you came from as long as you're a suitable candidate.
Actually UNSW has a pretty similar course, from what I know the course was called professional engineering and communication-which goes through stuff like ethics and communication, and one of my friends who did it complained about how arbitrary the marks seems to be allocated, and I think the student complaint about the course was so significant it got to the point that the actual faculty was considering of changing/restructuring the course. I think sometimes you will have to suffer through subjects you don't like in order to do the subjects you do like-perhaps as you enter later years of uni and get to do more electives, you might enjoy it more :)

And yes, it does suck when you do everyone else's work, but I think you need to remember this might not necessarily apply to every project, and if you can do the whole thing yourself-you have proven yourself more capable then rest, and it is a good opportunity to use it as an example in a job interview to show that you are adaptable, versatile as well as having a significant amount of self-initiative. With a lot of things in life, sometimes when you view things a different way, you can come to a completely different result by adopting a different attitude towards the task, and you just might end up learning/enjoying it more than you will otherwise : )

enghero

HSC
Uni Grad
It really doesn't matter which university you go to unless you become an academic.
Sure it looks good on your CV/resume if you go to the better universities, but at the end of the day, the employer would be looking for experience.
Your university credential probably only weighs in 10% once you started working full-time.

In regards to the communication bit. It is actually really important once you start working. Engineering is not just maths and science. As for pulling other people's weight. It happens all the time, even in the working world.

I am an UNSW alumni, and I did found it hard to get a working experience. UTS on the other hand has better relationship in the industry and can probably help you get your first engineering job easier

Neil_

HSC
sorry gotta interject: UTS provides assistance if you need to find your internship. It doesn't find it for you. You have to do the majority of the work in finding it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)