UTS or UNSW (1 Viewer)

rama_v

HSC
Well, there were some statistics someone posted up in one of these threads a whlie ago (can't be bothered to find the link). Basically they said that about 90% of UTS engineering graduates find jobs , whereas the figure for USyd and UNSW was well below that (something like 30%?). However, this is probably because UTS students will undertake a diploma in engineering practice i.e. one year of work, hence explaining the stats.

UNSW is further from the city than UTS. I can't comment on which is better for engineering though, as I don't do engineering (oh, and I go to UNSW btw).

In any case, don't go to a uni for the name - go for the course it offers.

JhK89

HSC
well thats it thanks for everything guys i think ill go to uts :O

RNN-A-MUK

HSC
i was just reading the commerce thread and it seems people hav applied for cadetships and have been accepted already.... anyway engineering students can apply for cadetships now?

MoNNiE

HSC
STx said:
Why not?, UNSW Eng is the highest ranked eng faculty in the world rankings from Australia

That's mainly based upon the fact that the engineering faculty at UNSW does alot of research! not because they are the best institution for teaching undergraduate engineering... the best Uni for Eng for Undergraduate Degrees can be very debatable.. i've seen too many threads on that topic.

for those who wanted the stats for employment for engo

http://s13.quicksharing.com/v/4721466/Engy_report.zip.html

I speak to plenty of people from industry and they really do prefer people with experience other then just a degree.. so if in fact.. if you want to get a "good" job, my suggestion is to apply for jobs now.. whlist your still at uni. (probably apply for 3rd year ish or so..)
there is a down side to that... you don't get too much of a uni life.. and your prolonging your study quite abit!
but hey...its for the money and the experience!

And yes.. the tower building is dodgy.. esp the even lifts...!! and their toilets need upgrading!

Cadetships.. yes engineering has them, depending on your stream, most big companies offer them.
if your civil i know of
Bovis lend lease, B and M, leightons etc..
just mass apply to places.. you'll be suprised!
Engineering is an industry, where alot jobs you can get by word of mouth -- providing your good

Last edited:

JhK89

HSC
lol i changed my mind im going unsw after the open day :O

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol, no need to say, probably our buildings.

One thing I don't really like about UTS is how it scatters its buildings around the CBD, the food around there is really nice, no doubts there, but I'd rather have better facilities + lecturers + buildings than having nice food.

Lmao as for the toilets issue, well UNSW toilets especially in our 14 storey library are abit dodgey as well, but lol almost every 2-3 hours we get cleaners washing the toilets.

Last edited:

CandE

HSC
The lifts aren't that bad when you compare them to the ones I have at work. In my first week of uni, the lifts only played up twice (skipped floors ect)! Meanwhile the lifts at work stop working all the time, mainly due to people who exit the lift between floors, or forget to close the doors.

At least the lifts at uni are automatic! The ones at work are basically an open box with a creeky wood floor, walls where the paint is peeling, not much for a roof(so you can see the cables in the lift, and a little 25w light bulb to provide a little bit of light. You actually have to "drive" the lift using a leaver and open and close the doors yourself, which can be a pain if you have a trolley or something heavy. Sometimes you have to run up and down the floors just to look for the lift!

Although Thursday was not a good day for getting a lift at UTS. 3 of them broke down! Usually they are all working.

phrred

HSC
Rekkusu said:
Lol, no need to say, probably our buildings.

but I'd rather have better facilities + lecturers + buildings than having nice food.

Lmao as for the toilets issue, well UNSW toilets especially in our 14 storey library are abit dodgey as well, but lol almost every 2-3 hours we get cleaners washing the toilets.
isnt that a good thing

so why the change in heart all of a sudden to the original poster

phrred

HSC
MoNNiE said:
That's mainly based upon the fact that the engineering faculty at UNSW does alot of research! not because they are the best institution for teaching undergraduate engineering... the best Uni for Eng for Undergraduate Degrees can be very debatable.. i've seen too many threads on that topic.
It does a lot of research because its huge, has the facilities and quality academics to be a good research school, what more do you need?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
CandE said:
Sometimes you have to run up and down the floors just to look for the lift!
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the lift? :p

CandE

HSC
Riviet said:
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the lift? :p
Well when you have a trolley which is too heavy to take up the stairs, you have to leave it where you are and race up the stairs, jump into the lift (or just walk in depending whether it is at a floor or stuck between two) and then take the lift to the floor that you have left the trolley at, before someone steals or moves it. Of course if I was going up one floor, and I was in the basement there is a wheelchair ramp which takes me onto the street level and I can enter the ground floor, however if I needed to get it to the fifth floor (the top) I might have to take it back or get some help in lifting it up the stairs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)