uts v unsw engineering (1 Viewer)

lydiaodehh

HSC
ik a lot of people ask this lol sorry but anyways i want to go unsw for engineering BUT didn’t get gateway 😔 and that’s most likely the only way i’ll get in. i got an offer for uts engo and i just have to finish hsc exams. i’m trying to get this negative view everyone has of uts engo out of my head so can you guys tell me some positive things but still be honest on how it compares to unsw :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Both universities are good. UNSW may be regarded as the superior university in terms of engineering, but this does not mean that UTS is a bad university for engineering. In the event where you fail to receive an offer to study a Bachelor of Engineering at UNSW, studying a Bachelor of Engineering at UTS would be a suitable option. Keep in mind is that your academic performance (i.e. results + GPA/WAM) is important, irrespective of the university that you attend, which therefore needs to be your primary focus, rather than the university you are aiming to attend.

With that being said, if you really desire studying a Bachelor of Engineering at UNSW, I suggest checking the Bachelor of Engineering Advanced (Honours) WSU-UNSW Collaborative Program, which gives you the opportunity to benefit from the knowledge and expertise in engineering of two universities as you’ll be taught by both WSU and UNSW academics. You will also have the opportunity to either remain enrolled in this program, or transfer to UNSW as you progress through this program:

I hope this helps! 😄

lydiaodehh

HSC
Both universities are good. UNSW may be regarded as the superior university in terms of engineering, but this does mean that UTS is a bad university for engineering. In the event where you fail to receive an offer to study a Bachelor of Engineering at UNSW, studying a Bachelor of Engineering at UTS would be a suitable option. Keep in mind is that your academic performance (i.e. results + GPA/WAM) is important, irrespective of the university that you attend, which therefore needs to be your primary focus, rather than the university you are aiming to attend.

With that being said, if you really desire studying a Bachelor of Engineering at UNSW, I suggest checking the Bachelor of Engineering Advanced (Honours) WSU-UNSW Collaborative Program, which gives you the opportunity to benefit from the knowledge and expertise in engineering of two universities as you’ll be taught by both WSU and UNSW academics. You will also have the opportunity to either remain enrolled in this program, or transfer to UNSW as you progress through this program:

I hope this helps! 😄
wow okay thank you sm ive never heard of this joint program til now. also in terms of practical experience which one would you say is better.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
lol i still don’t know how to feel about trimesters. are they really that bad??
no I'm exaggerating, it's just that with trimesters you get much shorter breaks in between, there's 3 sets of finals each year instead of 2 kinda gross, also the pace can pick up quickly because the terms are short and if you're lazy like me i.e. tend to fall behind then catching up or staying on track won't be fun. I think those who start at unsw are cool w it and used to it though, so you wouldn't realise how ugly trimesters are unless you've also experienced semesters : p

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
wow okay thank you sm ive never heard of this joint program til now. also in terms of practical experience which one would you say is better.
No worries. 2022 will be the first year in which the Bachelor of Engineering Advanced (Honours) WSU-UNSW Collaborative Program will run.

UNSW’s Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) includes 60 days Industrial Training which provides a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) experience. WIL allows you to engage in work learning experiences that integrate academic learning with its application in the workplace, connecting you directly with industry and community partners.

UTS states that it connects students with several (over 1000) industry partners in teaching and research, allowing you to surround yourself with opportunities to engage with companies such as Siemens, Raytheon, Deloitte, PwC, Aurecon, WiseTech Global, Thales, Canon Medical Systems and Cisco.

In short, it seems like neither university is alien to practical experience, meaning that the extent to which you benefit from practical experience while studying will likely depend on your efforts and academic performance (which is beneficial when considering important components such as internships) throughout your time studying engineering at either university.

Porogamiii

HSC
UNSW includes the 60 days of work experience mandatory for all engineering degrees for all unis, but UTS goes one step further with the diploma of professional practice included in their engineering degrees. The UTS one specifies two 6-month paid or unpaid internships in your second and either third or fourth year and have subjects specifically on preparing for this. This does however extend your degree to being 5 years long (cuz of honours) but I would say UTS does offer more in terms of practical experience and are well known for their focus on industry and hands-on experience.

lydiaodehh

HSC
UNSW includes the 60 days of work experience mandatory for all engineering degrees for all unis, but UTS goes one step further with the diploma of professional practice included in their engineering degrees. The UTS one specifies two 6-month paid or unpaid internships in your second and either third or fourth year and have subjects specifically on preparing for this. This does however extend your degree to being 5 years long (cuz of honours) but I would say UTS does offer more in terms of practical experience and are well known for their focus on industry and hands-on experience.
damn i would be at uni for 6 years then because i got engo/science. would you say the extra year is worth it tho?

lydiaodehh

HSC
No worries. 2022 will be the first year in which the Bachelor of Engineering Advanced (Honours) WSU-UNSW Collaborative Program will run.

UNSW’s Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) includes 60 days Industrial Training which provides a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) experience. WIL allows you to engage in work learning experiences that integrate academic learning with its application in the workplace, connecting you directly with industry and community partners.

UTS states that it connects students with several (over 1000) industry partners in teaching and research, allowing you to surround yourself with opportunities to engage with companies such as Siemens, Raytheon, Deloitte, PwC, Aurecon, WiseTech Global, Thales, Canon Medical Systems and Cisco.

In short, it seems like neither university is alien to practical experience, meaning that the extent to which you benefit from practical experience while studying will likely depend on your efforts and academic performance (which is beneficial when considering important components such as internships) throughout your time studying engineering at either university.
wow okay that sounds amazing. thanks for the help lol :)))

cossine

HSC
damn i would be at uni for 6 years then because i got engo/science. would you say the extra year is worth it tho?
Taking engineering/science will be 5 years without the diploma. 6 years otherwise. So you most likely will not be doing 6 years unless you want to add the diploma of professional practice.

Taking an extra year will probably not be meaningful. You should be able to get a job by the end of 5 years hopefully.

lydiaodehh

HSC
Taking engineering/science will be 5 years without the diploma. 6 years otherwise. So you most likely will not be doing 6 years unless you want to add the diploma of professional practice.

Taking an extra year will probably not be meaningful. You should be able to get a job by the end of 5 years hopefully.
yeah i was thinking that but idk. also all the scholarships for engineering you have to do the diploma to qualify so thats a bit annoying

cossine

HSC
yeah i was thinking that but idk. also all the scholarships for engineering you have to do the diploma to qualify so thats a bit annoying
Yes there are some that involve having the diploma but you can take a paid internship.

For the diploma of professional practice you need to complete 1680 hours of work. The non-diploma is 420 hours meet the requirements set by engineer Australia.

So there is nothing really special about the diploma of professional practice. If there is scenario you need it you could always make a course transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)