• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UWA Crim Assignment (1 Viewer)

yourdad

HSC
N/A
Hey, I have this really stupid assignment for crim, and I'm not asking anyone to do it or anything I just want to know if anyone had to do something similar or if anyone here from UWA had to do it before. We have to go to a jury trial, which is fair enough I mean it is law after all, but then write a 750 word essay on basically something we observe about court that relates to the material. It is pretty fucked, I mean we are 4 weeks in (first 2 weeks were a waste of time) and we are only just starting homicide. The tutors example was "if you notice the jury keeps falling asleep, write about how we shouldn't use jury trials." I can just see myself sitting in court for three hours and not knowing what to write about. The tutor seems pretty useless so I haven't talked to him about it. Has anyone else had something like this?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It sounds to me like they just want you to make an observation from the legal system.
Just see something like too many objections and say you feel people should be allowed to speak their mind or something...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
yourdad said:
Hey, I have this really stupid assignment for crim, and I'm not asking anyone to do it or anything I just want to know if anyone had to do something similar or if anyone here from UWA had to do it before. We have to go to a jury trial, which is fair enough I mean it is law after all, but then write a 750 word essay on basically something we observe about court that relates to the material. It is pretty fucked, I mean we are 4 weeks in (first 2 weeks were a waste of time) and we are only just starting homicide. The tutors example was "if you notice the jury keeps falling asleep, write about how we shouldn't use jury trials." I can just see myself sitting in court for three hours and not knowing what to write about. The tutor seems pretty useless so I haven't talked to him about it. Has anyone else had something like this?
Consider yourself lucky, we have to spend 3 full days or 6 half days in court and do the same thing, only with a longer word limit.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
further, UNSW crim law kids are given free reign about the topic, as long it relates to the criminal process... at least the concept of jury trials limits it a bit...

750 words, meh, knock it off it a day or two.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Asquithian said:
The law school always give you less words than you actually need to answer the question. It's generally 500 to 750 less than it should be.
Truer words have never been spoken.

closetanarchist

HSC
N/A
I sent a similar assignment off today - 598 words of 600 limit. Once you get in there I think you'll find a thread. They prolly just wanna see how much you know about the process so you might be lucky and see something that interests you - I did and it was only the local. Just tie it in with your topics. Goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)