• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Vacationer Programs and Penultimate (1 Viewer)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Since my degree is 4 years (Commerce/Economics Combined) my penultimate year is not until next year, however is it still possible to apply this year if I can complete all my Commerce (Accounting/Finance) subjects by the end of the third year, ie. finish my commerce degree?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
JFK said:
Even if you weren't gonna finish all your Commerce subjects by the end of the 3rd year, you'd still be smart to apply. They just want to get good people in there, they don't care what stage you're at.

Hell, I knew a guy who got into a vacation program after his 1st year at uni.
Was that guy a CA Achiever? And did he tell them that he wouldn't finish in one years time?

I know of people who apply under the "I'm planning to finish my Commerce degree in 1 year" guise but unless there's potential for you to start graduate employment in the intake within the year after your vacation, I think you might run the risk of harming your reputation.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
JFK said:
Nah, that's complete BS.

I did Vacation work with multiple people who weren't finishing the following year, some where Law/Commerce students who weren't finishing for a few years, others were 1st year or 2nd year of a 4 year degree.

If you're straight up with them, and say "I want as much experience as possible before I finish my degree blah blah blah" they don't care if you're not gonna finish the following year. As I said, they want GOOD people, regardless of what stage they're at.
Are you sure those aforementioned people said it RIGHT upfront on their application? If you said it in your interview then that's a different story. There are people who are exceptions to the norm/criteria and what you said is true that we want good people, but ultimately, the program is aimed at people who will be ready to commence graduate employment in the not too distant future.

Might I ask who are you to say that what I post is "complete BS"? That's just rude.

JFK said:
I know of people that have been given offers for Graduate positions, when they're not graduating for another 2 or 3 years. It happens.
I know it happens but it doesn't mean it's condoned.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
JFK said:
Oh noez can't be rudez.

1. If you're clear from the beginning what stage you're at, they will not penalise you for it, usually.
2. If you lie, it's a different story, but I didn't suggest that anywhere.
3. There's clearly no harm in trying, and getting experience with the application process. To say doing that would harm your reputation is ludicrous.
4. LoL Seremify.
When I said harming reputation, I was referring to people who lied/intentionally covered up.

Anyway ultimately the conclusion drawn from this discussion is- say it upfront. If you get invited to an interview, go for it. But don't bluff in your cover letter saying you will finish your degree and whatnot in a year's time.

Agreed?

footballstar

HSC
JFK said:
Nah, that's complete BS.

I did Vacation work with multiple people who weren't finishing the following year, some where Law/Commerce students who weren't finishing for a few years, others were 1st year or 2nd year of a 4 year degree.

If you're straight up with them, and say "I want as much experience as possible before I finish my degree blah blah blah" they don't care if you're not gonna finish the following year. As I said, they want GOOD people, regardless of what stage they're at.

I know of people that have been given offers for Graduate positions, when they're not graduating for another 2 or 3 years. It happens.
Wow, offers for Graduate position even though they're not graduating for another 2 or 3 years. Would this work for investment bank vacation programs? Also, would it be a smart to start applying for these once you're in uni 1st year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)